Page 17 of 110 FirstFirst ... 715161718192767 ... LastLast

Thread: Gardening Thread

Re: Gardening Thread

I have a magnolia tree, they do indeed take several years to establish themselves, certainly to the point of flowering. Mr.D decided to prune it last year..now it's an odd shape

So, Carnation, how do you avoid soggy bottoms in the top tray? It's the first time I've done seeds and what I thought was a simple pastime that a fairly capable five year old could execute, it's obvious I'm out of my depth lol. I really want to get the cat mint going, my cat loved the plants last year.

Ghost…Spillways

Darksy you can buy top trays with either little feet or ledges that will sit in the bottom tray.
    An alternative would be to sit your seed tray in a shallow tray of water and the soil will only take what is needed, then remove and put back into the sun. Too much sun can make the plant leggy so partial sun is better.

It sounds like you all have such lovely gardens.

I'm hoping to put in some raised beds this year in my backyard and grow some pollinator flowers and some veggies. But we'll see how successful I am! Last year I tried for peppers and tomatoes - the peppers were successful, but the tomatoes were not. But my mom always has a big garden and gets a lot of tomatoes and zucchini so she keeps me well supplied.

I have some really large Honeysuckle bushes in my backyard that were there when I bought the house. I think I'm allergic to them when they flower, and my dad keeps telling me I'll have to pull them when I put my fence up, but I'm going to keep as many as I can. The birds love them and they make a nice little forest for my dog to wander in.
    Sometimes I fly like an eagle, sometimes I'm deep in despair.

Quote Originally Posted by .Poppy. View Post
    It sounds like you all have such lovely gardens.

I'm hoping to put in some raised beds this year in my backyard and grow some pollinator flowers and some veggies. But we'll see how successful I am! Last year I tried for peppers and tomatoes - the peppers were successful, but the tomatoes were not. But my mom always has a big garden and gets a lot of tomatoes and zucchini so she keeps me well supplied.

I have some really large Honeysuckle bushes in my backyard that were there when I bought the house. I think I'm allergic to them when they flower, and my dad keeps telling me I'll have to pull them when I put my fence up, but I'm going to keep as many as I can. The birds love them and they make a nice little forest for my dog to wander in.
    I bet he loves that. Mindfulness for dogs wandering in the bushes.

Chillies seem pretty easy to grow. I think BlueIris grows some. My GF has been growing them for a few years to make into spreads for a work colleague who likes them volcanic!

Veg like carrots and potatoes are usually easy to grow.

Maybe you could string some things up the fence?

I absolutely love honeysuckle. We had a near forest of the stuff rambling through trees like a weed. The smell on July evenings was heavenly. Then one year for some unknown reason, it all died :(

Ive tried to grow chillies....and failed. These little knobs of green chilies started but they never progressed or reddened.

Always had an itch to have chickens ( well they are kept in the garden so its sort of gardening) But, well one word..cats.

Ghost…Spillways

I love honeysuckle too.
    Poppy my tomatoes didn't do too well either, even Monty Don had a couple of bad years.
    I'm enjoying seeing some flowers out already...
    IMG_20220222_153405.jpgIMG_20220222_153520.jpgIMG_20220222_153510.jpgIMG_20220222_153816.jpg

They're beautiful Carnation!

I wanted to get in the yard today, but it was a bit damp after a promising start.

Last year I had ordered loads of bedding plants already, but funds have prevented it this year. I'm hoping for decent plants in B&M, Home Bargains and Morrisons.

I might have to order some tomatoes though.

Thank you catkins x
    Why not try your hand at some seeds. I always grow my cosmo from seed and a £3 packet will fill several pots.
    Some seedlings reproduce, like love - in - the mist which look very pretty in a pot. You can't go wrong with bulbs either. Tulips, daffodils, narcissus, hyacinths, crocus.

Morrisons have some great plants and shrubs Catkins. Ok they are not huge specimens but they are healthy and at £2 a pop you can’t go wrong.
    I bought quite a few last year, just slipped one in the trolley as you do. They are all growing well.

Ghost…Spillways

Quote Originally Posted by Carnation View Post
    I love honeysuckle too.
    Poppy my tomatoes didn't do too well either, even Monty Don had a couple of bad years.
    I'm enjoying seeing some flowers out already...
    IMG_20220222_153405.jpgIMG_20220222_153520.jpgIMG_20220222_153510.jpgIMG_20220222_153816.jpg

Your flowers are lovely Carnation they remind me of my mum’s family property Cruden Park.xx

Page 17 of 110 FirstFirst ... 715161718192767 ... LastLast

Thread Information