Page 33 of 110 FirstFirst ... 2331323334354383 ... LastLast

Thread: Gardening Thread

Re: Gardening Thread

I find a lot of plants are already pot bound when you buy them Nora, so it’s worth checking.

Ghost…Spillways

Quote Originally Posted by Darksky View Post
    I find a lot of plants are already pot bound when you buy them Nora, so it’s worth checking.
    I re-potted when I bought it and pot it into a much bigger pot but I will check Darksky, thanks.

Talking of pot bound, who's in the Monty Don school of gardening where you break the roots in order to encourage new growth? Or the Alan Titchmarsh camp where they are gently 'teased' out? I know its probably not a matter you've been losing sleep over.

Some plants get over it while others never really do. It largely depends on how thuggish they are. I do like 'rescuing' plants at GCs and supermarkets though. Last week there were some 'durango tangerine' French marigolds on shelves outside Asda. Just the name got my attention, along with their sorry state. Cell bound and drooping through lack of water, they are now happy and sitting in two wall planters.

I do both fishman, depending on the plant. Although I'm not comfortable with the breaking but somehow it works.

I am unwittingly a Monty Don…..I never tease anything out

I do love a ‘casualty plant’ . I always head for the clearance section. I’ve had some brilliant finds. A bit of tlc and they’re as good as new. Not lost one yet, all they seem to want is a good drink of water.

Ghost…Spillways

I do both too Carnation, some roots are just more robust to being 'broken'.

Darksky, the worst case of plant neglect I've seen was this year at our local Wickes. Vast swathes of plants were stone dead, actually crisp and sitting in bone dry compost. I though 'what's the point?' OK I understand staff are busy, if so employ trays that can easily be topped up. Its best to water from below anyway if possible.

While we don't have a garden, many in our neighborhood do and my wife loves taking pics of all the beautiful flora on her morning walks with the doggie. Here are some from this morning.... Don't know the names of them but they're beautiful!

flowers7.jpgflowers4.jpgflowers6.jpgflowers5.jpgflowers3.jpgflowers2.jpgFlowers1.jpg

FMP
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

What lovely flowers FMP!

With regards to Monty Don - I have a bit of a crush on him, I would love to spend a day with him in his garden, his voice is also wonderful; it's so relaxing - I have thought he should make a guided meditation involving plants.

Quote Originally Posted by Catkins View Post

With regards to Monty Don - I have a bit of a crush on him,
    It's Titchmarsh with me..

When he starts talking Yorkshire I go all quivery...

That's a brilliant idea catkins. I wish they'd go back to the 30 minute programme and just him. I'm not really interested in the fill ins. And call it 'Just Monty'.
    Dare I say, I think Titchmarsh is the better gardener and his garden transformations are amazing.
    I wished they'd feature how not to get bitten, stung, scratched though. And how to do stuff on a budget. Gardening can cost a small fortune.

FMP, I can see hydrangeas and geraniums in the photos, not sure about the others.

Page 33 of 110 FirstFirst ... 2331323334354383 ... LastLast

Thread Information