Page 36 of 110 FirstFirst ... 2634353637384686 ... LastLast

Thread: Gardening Thread

Re: Gardening Thread

Beautiful plant FMP

Yes, that is a gorgeous plant! I've always been a bit afraid of orchids, I've heard they are hard to care for. Have you found that to be the case?

I've been pestering my friend this afternoon - she has a green thumb and is very involved with gardening. I'm trying to figure out what kind of setup I need to grow herbs indoors. I have a lot of light but am trying to get ideas about pot size, if certain ones can be planted with others, etc. I think that's going to be a project I'll tackle early on this spring.
    Sometimes I fly like an eagle, sometimes I'm deep in despair.

Quote Originally Posted by .Poppy. View Post
    Yes, that is a gorgeous plant! I've always been a bit afraid of orchids, I've heard they are hard to care for. Have you found that to be the case?
    They are challenging but after reading about and watching videos on orchid care, I pretty much have it down. The key is the soil you use (peat moss, wood chips etc.), proper watering and additional nutrients. I also rotate placement in our kitchen (which gets morning and afternoon sun). They're a really interesting plant IMO with the way they grow and root (You can see the roots reaching out in my photo) and the flowers are breathtaking and well worth the wait and effort.

I'll have to take a couple of photos of some other house plants I have. One I bought in 2000 and the other my son brought me in 2007 after my first heart attack. Both are over 15yo and are thriving!

FMP
    Last edited by Fishmanpa; 03-03-23 at 00:38.
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Poppy, I have an outdoor mixed pot of herbs of rosemary, thyme and mint. Mint tends to dominate a pot, but the rosemary is pretty hardy. Rosemary is my favourite.

My orchid is in full bloom too!
    It will keep going until we reach winter again.
    IMG_20230303_093451.jpgIMG_20230303_093456.jpg

Anyone know what this plant is?
    IMG_20230303_091813.jpg

My first thought was a Moneypenny plant but I’m not sure that it is. The leaves aren’t right somehow. I don’t know if there are different varieties.

Ghost…Spillways

Lovely orchid, Carn. My GF loves them and there are some really unusual ones about if you shop online. I remember buying her a really nice rusty brown coloured one.

Poppy, I think you will figure it out easy enough. There's plenty online if you need pointers. My GF tends to grow some chillies in her kitchen but she probably has grown some herbs too so I can ask if needed.

Yes, I do know that mint has a tendency to take over. I have a hanging window pot that I think I'll plant the mint in. I had heard basil maybe takes over sometimes too? But I may just start planting and see what happens. I have been saving milk jugs as I saw a TikTok on indoor sowing of seeds using the jugs, so I'm going to try that method for a few things. I also saw a video on propagating rosemary so I may steal a branch from my mom's rosemary plant this weekend.

That is a gorgeous orchid! The pink is shocking - in a good way.
    Sometimes I fly like an eagle, sometimes I'm deep in despair.

Lovely orchids FMP and Carnation!! My Dad has some of those too. Not sure on the other Carnation, only that it's a succulent.

Not gardening exactly but a pic of the pond the other day with clumps of frogspawn.IMG-0313.jpg

Page 36 of 110 FirstFirst ... 2634353637384686 ... LastLast

Thread Information