Page 37 of 110 FirstFirst ... 2735363738394787 ... LastLast

Thread: Gardening Thread

Re: Gardening Thread

Almost bust my abdo muscle (again) dragging my beautiful ceramic tile patio set out of the shed, and it's given snow out for next week.

Also, can anyone advise me on a good tree for a container? We have a yard so it's all container plants. Ideally, I'd like a fruit tree?

Lemon tree?
    Fruit trees were featured on Gardeners World last night if you want to catch up.
    I have an eucalyptus tree in a pot because in the ground it would grow a foot per month until it becomes too big to handle. The shop I bought it from said it wouldn't survive in a pot but it has.

I quite like ponds fishman. Adds to your cottage garden feel. Which is my favourite type of garden.

Quote Originally Posted by Carnation View Post
    Lemon tree?
    Fruit trees were featured on Gardeners World last night if you want to catch up.
    I have an eucalyptus tree in a pot because in the ground it would grow a foot per month until it becomes too big to handle. The shop I bought it from said it wouldn't survive in a pot but it has.

I quite like ponds fishman. Adds to your cottage garden feel. Which is my favourite type of garden.
    My GFs mum bought a fig tree years ago. The guy selling it said whatever you do don't put it in the ground. It's still in the same pot and enormous.

I love a pond. You miss out on wildlife without one. They are lovely to sit by.

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsTerry View Post

I love a pond. You miss out on wildlife without one. They are lovely to sit by.
    Id love a pond too. Sadly Mr.D has no intention of getting one. We had one when I was younger, I loved it. Frogs regularly spawning in it, lily pads etc. I used to sit for hours with our then dog, they are so relaxing. One day…..

Ghost…Spillways

Quote Originally Posted by Carnation View Post
    Lemon tree?
    Perfect. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Darksky View Post
    Id love a pond too. Sadly Mr.D has no intention of getting one. We had one when I was younger, I loved it. Frogs regularly spawning in it, lily pads etc. I used to sit for hours with our then dog, they are so relaxing. One day…..
    Why doesn't he want one? Once set up maintenance is pretty quick & easy. They will add some elec cost but it depends on how many pumps and filters you run. I can give you an idea if you need it as I worked out how much each device was using so dad could decide which to turn off in winter. He was quite surprised how much it cost now but that's all because of the prices skyrocketing.

Sorry, I meant to say thank you to darksky, pain and fish for the plant ID.

Our pond hasn't got a pump, they're not necessary if its just for wildlife. If you're keeping fish then its another matter, as a build up of gases under prolonged icing over can lead to fish losses.

I dug ours out in 2014. Within a day or two a frog had appeared, we now have a healthy population of them. If you build some open compost heaps, basically just chuck your garden clippings in a quiet corner and let it decay. That's all frogs (and toads/newts too) need to overwinter. Some will do that at the bottom of the pond, usually males.

I opted for no fish as they can decimate young tadpoles. But you get rewarded with tiny baby frogs emerging come late summer. Dragonfly nymphs too. The design I used has shallow outer ledges, only 4 or 5 inches deep. I stand bog plants on this like marsh marigold and devil's-bit scabious. We have a lily in the deepest part which is about 2ft. Yellow flag irises are very pretty but will take over the pond if not careful. The solid mass of roots is hard work to pull out.

I find this to be a very dull plant. In fact I'd say it's a hell of a bore
    IMG-0315.jpgIMG-0316.jpg

Fishman, I think you can also dig a trench for frogs & toads as well as some lizard life?

Page 37 of 110 FirstFirst ... 2735363738394787 ... LastLast

Thread Information