Thread: Fractured jaw

Fractured jaw

Hi , 6 weeks ago my elderly father had a fall and fractured both sides of his jaw the consultant wanted to wire it and plate it there and then but my dad declined , He’s been on a liquid diet for 6 weeks and has a review at the hospital next week . Over all he feels a lot better apart from he can’t fit his denture in he does have a few of his own teeth he also has a small lump on one side of his jaw which he feels is getting smaller he’s very worried that he will need an op although he’s pain free
    Has anybody been through this ?

Re: Fractured jaw

Hi Carmen. The pain from a broken jaw and being wired and having a plate put in is terrible,my plate shifted and had to have more surgery also having just fluids for 6weeks I lost a lot of weight.The drugs they gave me for pain worked but I didn’t take them as directed as I know they were highly addictive.Pleased that your dad is pain free.

Thankyou for your reply I’m so sorry that you went through so much .I’m concerned about the small lump I’m praying it might just be a lymph node I feel he’s too elderly for an op

Your poor dad are you sure he is pain free?my dear dad will say he isn’t in pain when we know he is,a broken jaw is very painful he may need a new a new denture,Crikey he must be tough even sucking through a straw was painful for me and I had surgery.The lump if it’s getting smaller I wouldn’t be worried.Do you have Ensure over there it is a supplement the hospital gave me to keep up nutrients.Let me know how your dear dad is progressing

Thankyou Lolalee , he's 82 & says he hasn't got any pain now , I'm just praying that all goes well at his check up . We got Ensure & some other nutrional milk shakes thankyou

Thread Information