Thread: Food

Food

I can’t believe what I’ve done I’ve cooked and fed my 8 year old a cheese pizza that’s 5 days out of date. I’ve been so stressed lately and it’s finally caught up with me tonight I didn’t even realise until my oh tried it and said it tasted awful and by then my little one had eaten 3/4 of it.

I’m such an idiot my most important job is to keep my child safe and I’ve probably given her food poising.

There was definitely no mould on it and it’s felt and looked ok otherwise I’d have noticed it was out of date. I’m worried I may not have cooked it long enough to kill off any bacteria and now she’s gonna get really sick.

What if I’ve given her food poisoning and it causes issues with her eating in the future? You hear of so many people remembering how awful they’ve felt after eating a certain food it put them off it and similar food for life. I’m such a useless mum

Re: Food

You’re not useless at all, you’re busy and have a million things to think about. Don’t worry too much, I’m sure she’ll be ok. I think it’s only us as adults that get put off food after a bad experience.
    My 6 yo gets a really bad tummy ache every time she eats mac & cheese from her favourite cafe, yet she still wants to eat there every time we go!

Go through the fridge & check for anything else that’s out of date, it’ll distract you. Then give her a cuddle and maybe be ready for any possible tummy aches x

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd have thought the oven would have killed any germs etc. Chill, you might want to put some toilet paper in the fridge as a precaution 😀

Quote Originally Posted by Bakebeansrule View Post
    I’ve cooked and fed my 8 year old a cheese pizza that’s 5 days out of date.
    A frozen pizza?

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

I’m so angry with myself. I just want to hug her and tell her how sorry I am but she’s too busy playing. I feel such a failure, I wouldn’t have even known if oh hadn’t have tried it makes me so upset that my little one trusts me to keep her healthy and I can’t even read a date on some packaging

Quote Originally Posted by Fishmanpa View Post
    A frozen pizza?

Positive thoughts
    No it wasn’t I wish it had been

Still... 5 days is nothing. You're needlessly torturing yourself. At worst, it wouldn't taste as fresh but then what 8yo is going to say "Mom.. this pizza doesn't taste as fresh as usual...." Besides, its been a couple hours and she's fine right?

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Thank you she seems fine and it’s been nearly 4 hours. She means the absolute world to me and the thought that I could have given her something to make her feel poorly is awful. Lesson learnt, I need to slow down and check things more carefully in future.

Best Before or Use By? The former are a measure of quality only. The latter are not strict either and I've read articles about how some last xyz longer. But the thing is they also can go off earlier too and that's why you apply the old checks (smell being important).

I've eaten cheese far further out of date than that and it's fine. Yesterday I ate yoghurt that was 2 months over (I rarely go longer than 10 days usually) the Use By and it's fine. I've eaten various forms of cheese out of date (and it's a Best Before on them so doesn't matter) applying the usual safety checks like looking for mould. And I've has several blocks of cheese well inside the date that upon opening were covered in mould despite being a month in date and being in the fridge only since getting them home.

You did the check and it seemed ok. There might be higher levels of bacteria in than normal but even though isn't doesn't mean everyone always gets food poisoning. If it had really gone had you would have noticed from the smell, mould, texture, etc. And the taste wouldn't be nice to an adult let alone kids.

Thread Information