Thread: What in the world is an Official Mental Health Record

What in the world is an Official Mental Health Record

I am really confused and anxious as to what a Mental Health Record actually is. I have been seeing a therapist at a regular private practice university-serving counseling center near school. He gave me a couple of diagnoses and I asked him if they would go on my Mental Health Record. And he said that there was no Mental Health Record that is official and that these were just for his clinic and for him. He said that that only happens if you receive a diagnosis at a Hospital or something like that and in that case that diagnosis goes on your Medical Record. However when I look up on the internet, they talk about the Mental Health Record as one thing that is used and accessed for everything. Is the official Mental Health Record different from the one that the therapist has. I was told by another therapist that these records are just for the individual therapist and not an official list. I am feeling really anxious about this because I am not sure if there will be some kind of record that is kept on my mental health that will be accessed by others.

Re: What in the world is an Official Mental Health Record

Hi Megan
    Here in Aus,Mental Health records are private and no person can read it other than Police if you commit a crime or change Therapist.

Thread Information