Thread: Diagnosed with Hypomania

Diagnosed with Hypomania

I'm pretty sure there's some people here that already guessed that.

It all started some weeks back. I was discussing on an Aspergers forum. I wanted to know why sometimes I'm on cloud nine, but other times I'm down in the dumps. More specifically ... for a week or so I can be on a high. Super confident. Super positive. The world is my oyster type of thing. Some of you remember me wanting to join the army right? That was hypomanic episode apparently.

I've just recently came down from a hypomania episode. I was juggling 3 projects, plus doing my hobbies (photography, music, video recording, voiceovers). I was cramming so much into each day that I hardly slept. I felt so high and confident. Obtaining knowledge was more important than sleeping. My brain just couldn't shut off.

And then the crash came. So I called my doctor, and I explained that I think I'm having hypomanic episodes. I explained in detail like I did on the AS forum. He agreed that it's no manic episodes, but more than likely hypomania. Because my mental health team are still in charge of my drugs (I know right?!) he can't prescribe anything and this has to go through them and I'm going to need to attend the mental hospital to see my doctors. They won't do a home visit because of COVID and they're running on low resources at the minute.

So yeah. Not really nothing unexpected. I'm going to learn how to deal with the crashes, or take more meds.

@Pulsia ... is this something common with AS? When I Googled hypomania it said Bipolar, but I don't have Bipolar. A lot of people on the AS forum said they have the same problem but I can't find anything that links it with AS or the spectrum.

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” - Richard Feynman

☪️️

Re: Diagnosed with Hypomania

Hypomania can occur on its own or as a symptom of being bipolar.

I'm not surprised that you got a hypomania diagnosis. James, I'm the one who always thought you were bipolar, remember? Frankly, I'd like to know why your team dismissed that diagnosis, as you've had some pretty bad lows, like where you've felt suicidal. But since your health team has been $hit in the past, nothing they do or don't do really surprises me now...

Take care of you.

Quote Originally Posted by AntsyVee View Post
    Hypomania can occur on its own or as a symptom of being bipolar.

I'm not surprised that you got a hypomania diagnosis. James, I'm the one who always thought you were bipolar, remember? Frankly, I'd like to know why your team dismissed that diagnosis, as you've had some pretty bad lows, like where you've felt suicidal. But since your health team has been $hit in the past, nothing they do or don't do really surprises me now...

Take care of you.
    I do remember yes Antsy. Some of the things you said came to my mind while I was trying to find out what it was. I'm not hopeful on the team either. Nothing really changes in life except now I can at least start looking for ways to deal with it.

Last week I was running around the woods and everything taking photos, doing videos, completing projects. I just can't muster that now. So what I need to probably do is capture those high moments and make use of them while trying to ensure I rest well and give myself breaks. And learn to master the comedowns. So far from my online research it is possible to control it without medications. Just learning to live with who I am the best, and healthiest, way possible.

Thank you You've helped me many many times in the past and helped to me realize things about myself.

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” - Richard Feynman

☪️️

I know you're not diagnosed with bipolar, but people with bipolar often struggle with the "comedown" from the manic or hypomanic state. I wonder if you might benefit from reading some self-help books for dealing with bipolar, to see what techniques they recommend. I'm sure there's probably some lectures or podcasts on YouTube as well. I mean, lots of people have bipolar and have to deal with it.

Thanks, James. I'm glad to help if I can

I'd say you need some help with dealing with the impulsive behaviours, James. Taking on loads of new projects, being really enthusiastic and then ..crash..down to earth. I don't know too much about bipolar but I am dealing with my son who has been really ill for a year and has been sectioned due to impulsive behaviours so it can be a big problem with ASD. He doesn't have bipolar though. Meds haven't really touched the depression but quetiapine has helped him sleep at night and he is on lorazepam twice daily. I wouldn't have been able to cope without this "help" although I know it comes at a price.

That's a good point though, P. The impulsivity is a product of the hypomania or just mania in general.

I think it was obvious to a lot of us that there was this kind of condition lurking, yes. Even the recent post about you enjoying time out with your neighbour and the family reaction to that is linked I think. I think part of the mania is not being able to see other peoples emotional reactions clearly? I wasn't suggesting you or the misses reacted badly in that situation, just that emotional cues were possibly missed.

In any case, I suspect you're experiencing this now because of weed. Of course, that's a completely unqualified 'guess', but I've seen it in people before who have had weed habits.

The good news is, if it IS that, it can regulate over time. I think you've hit the nail on the head when it comes to self regulating your reaction to the high's and lows. I think what happens with a lot of people is that there is a perception that the high they are experiencing now will be the last one ever, in which case they need to make the most of it, but you really need to see it as a prolonged sleep/wake cycle. You don't wake up in the morning thinking this is your last day awake right?

There are probably a lot of things you can do in the low times. Even if it's just basic self care, meditation, doing research for whatever work project you're on rather than the actual work. I think you know this already though. Don't beat yourself up for being in a low point, and don't over stimulate yourself during the high's.

I haven't smoked for about 5 weeks. Hence why I've taken on more hobbies. Life is certainly more difficult without it; like the world is raw and my brain is taking in so much in one go. Panic attacks seem more raw without it too. They feel like the panic attacks where I want to call an ambulance. I'm hoping it's some sort of withdrawal, but tbh this is what I was like when I was very anti-cannabis lol.

Great advice on bipolar books. I'm going to do some digging to see if I can find a good book.

@Antsy No problemo, I'm greatful for your time over the years. And to all others

☪️️

Even though you haven't smoked for 5 weeks, all the mental pathways and effects of weed will still be there.

I know stuff might seem more raw, but you will get used to it. It's obviously your decision, but not smoking week will ultimately do you more good than harm.

Quote Originally Posted by ankietyjoe View Post
    Even though you haven't smoked for 5 weeks, all the mental pathways and effects of weed will still be there.

I know stuff might seem more raw, but you will get used to it. It's obviously your decision, but not smoking week will ultimately do you more good than harm.
    I'm hoping so I'm on the r/leaves sub-reddit who are very supportive. It's quite hard to make music without it, but impossible to take good photos with it. Rough with the smooth ha ha. Or swings and roundabouts

Last night I seen am awesome video where they made a hide and seek game and let the 4 players play the game. It started knowing nothing and players would wander the map until seekers found the hiders. It ended up learning the game, exploiting it, and finding glitches. So now my focus and attention is all on that. Learning the same game engine OpenAI use (Unity) because I have to try this out. But, give it 6 hours and something else will catch my attention. Like a magpie seeing shiny things. Spent last night learning about rockets. I mean it's all fun, but the context switches are on different ends of the spectrum.

I'd love to live forever, to learn everything.

Oh, here's that video of the game. Watch it, you'll be blown away.

☪️️

Thread Information