Thread: If you wake up vibrating or shaking . . .

If you wake up vibrating or shaking . . .

I've been highly stressed lately and done a lot of waking up with the bed vibrating or with my whole body shaking.

Sometimes the vibration thing happens all over my body. Sometimes it will only be in one of my legs. The adrenalin rush idea makes sense as a cause when it happens all over my body but not so much when it is only in one of my legs.

For those of you who experience this, do you have whole body vibrating, partial, or both?

I have my annual physical next Thursday. I don't know whether I want to bring this up to my doctor or not. I'm so tired to medical tests. I have a place where I track my symptoms and I've experienced these symptoms for over a year now, maybe longer. (I erased some earlier portions of my symptom log.) I just tend to worry a little tiny bit about things, even when they've gone on over a year

Also, have you thought of hypnopompic hallucinations as a possibility? I wake up sometimes and see strange things like polka dots all over my room. One type of hallucination like this is sleep paralysis. Here's what it says on wikipedia:

"People [with sleep paralysis] have sensations of being dragged out of bed or of flying, numbness, and feelings of electric tingles or vibrations running through their body."

I'd appreciate any comments.

Hope you're doing well.
    ~ Debbie

Re: If you wake up vibrating or shaking . . .

It's completely normal. They're called hypnogogic jerks. We have tons of posts about these on here if you do a search.

I think you need to stop trying to medicalise these sensations, Debbie? Also keeping a symptoms log will just perpetuate your fears. You will find a diagnosis for every single benign sensation on the internet-it's not helpful in managing HA.

Hi Just wanted to say that you're not alone. I get these too. I've been getting them since I was around 15 and I'm 27 now lol
    I'll wake up with my whole body insanely vibrating and sometimes I see things. Shadowy people, creepy monsters, or sometimes I just feel a creepy presence or have an all encompassing feeling of doom. I agree with pulisa that you should stop trying to find a medical reason for this sensation. It is very common to feel sleep paralysis (which is what I think you're experiencing). It's harmless just scary and it'll happen less and less if you're not afraid.

Hope you feel better

Thank you for your comments. I appreciate them. You’ve given me some wise counsel and some comfort.

Thread Information