Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Been trying to manage without medication but is it time to give it a go?

Re: Been trying to manage without medication but is it time to give it a go?

Thanks panic_down_under. The timeframe for CBT was months from April but now with this pandemic who knows! They stopped all services for a while so I imagine much longer now. That was one of the reasons I felt I had to persist with the SSRI. I have been given access to online CBT but don’t find it that great. I am reading the Dare book and find that useful.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Penelope View Post
    The timeframe for CBT was months from April but now with this pandemic who knows! They stopped all services for a while so I imagine much longer now.
    Yeah, 2020 should have been cancelled back in March!!

I am reading the Dare book and find that useful.
    I'm not familiar with it, but the reviews seem positive. Fingers crossed it continues to help.

I am now officially over the first four weeks on Sertraline. Over the last week I have had a couple of better days when I was slightly less anxious. I have been really anxious today and have had to take 1mg diazepam. I have only been on 50mg Sertraline for 10 days which I know is not long. I am feeling hopeful that I will get more good days and less anxious days as time goes by.

I am now officially over the first four weeks on Sertraline. Over the last week I have had a couple of better days when I was slightly less anxious. I have been really anxious today and have had to take 1mg diazepam. I have only been on 50mg Sertraline for 10 days which I know is not long. I am feeling hopeful that I will get more good days and less anxious days as time goes by.
    It is certainly looking promising. Long may that continue

33 days on Sertraline- the last 14 days on 50mg. I have been feeling a bit better in the afternoons and evenings but much worse in the mornings. I have been waking up feeling anxious and shaky and this seems to lead to a daily panic attack. I have used the diazepam 1mg a few times. I am taking the Sertraline at bedtime. Any thoughts or suggestions please?
    Last edited by Lady Penelope; 15-09-20 at 10:13. Reason: Typo

33 days on Sertraline- the last 14 days on 50mg. I have been feeling a bit better in the afternoons and evenings but much worse in the mornings. I have been waking up feeling anxious and shaky and this seems to lead to a daily panic attack. I have used the diazepam 1mg a few times. I am taking the Sertraline at bedtime. Any thoughts or suggestions please?
    Try taking it in the morning, or even splitting the dose taking half in the morning and the other at night. In theory neither should make any difference because about 5 days after a dose change sertraline plasma levels stabilise to a steady state and then don't vary much across the 24 hours, but in practice it often does.

Thank you panic_down_under. That’s definitely worth a try. Will let you know how it goes.

Ok just a quick update. I have now been on Sertraline for 6 weeks in total - started on 25mg and have been on 50mg for the last three weeks. Things are definitely improving slowly. My anxiety is definitely less although I still have anxious moments. I do feel I am more able to manage now. I am hoping this will continue to improve the longer I am on them. Spoke to GP today for follow up and she said stay on 50mg and she will review me in 3 months. I have heard it takes at least 12 weeks on a dose before it levels out and you know if you need to increase. Not sure that is correct though - doc said 4-6 weeks.
    I have managed to avoid alcohol completely and intend on abstaining for a few more weeks. I do miss having the odd glass of wine or gin and tonic but I do feel scared about having a drink with these meds.
    Since starting Sertraline I have reduced propranalol from 40mg per day to 20mg per day.
    Special thanks to panic_down_under for all your help and information. It really does make a massive difference when starting out to have someone take the time and trouble to reply.

I have heard it takes at least 12 weeks on a dose before it levels out and you know if you need to increase. Not sure that is correct though - doc said 4-6 weeks.
    Most begin to improve at 4-8 weeks, but it can take longer for others. It all comes down to individual biology.

I have managed to avoid alcohol completely and intend on abstaining for a few more weeks. I do miss having the odd glass of wine or gin and tonic but I do feel scared about having a drink with these meds.
    Once things settle down the odd glass probably won't hurt, but with an emphasis on 'odd' and don't drive or engage in other potential risky activity until you work out how the alcohol reacts with the med.

Special thanks to panic_down_under for all your help and information.
    Glad my scribblings have helped.

Just a quick update which might help someone thinking about taking Sertraline. I have now been on Sertraline for 8 weeks - starting at 25mg and increasing to 50mg six weeks ago. I had the prescription since February and it took me until 13th August to pluck up the courage to take it. My main problem is health anxiety.

I am now feeling so much better. I still get the odd flash of anxiety but I can manage it. If I had know how much better it has made me feel I would have taken it much sooner. I would say I am 80% better than I was earlier in the year. My anxiety was so bad in February that I missed a family holiday. So I would encourage anyone to give this medication a try.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread Information