Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Been trying to manage without medication but is it time to give it a go?

Re: Been trying to manage without medication but is it time to give it a go?

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Penelope View Post
    I am now feeling so much better. I still get the odd flash of anxiety but I can manage it. If I had know how much better it has made me feel I would have taken it much sooner
    That's good to hear. Thanks for letting us know. Six weeks is still early days. There should be further improvement over the next weeks as the brain changes triggered by the med consolidate.

Thanks panic_down_under.
    I have now had two bad days - I must have jinxed myself! Been feeling anxious and jittery. Ocular migraine two days running and tingly face. It this normal with Sertraline? How long does this medication take to be level? And when do you know if you need to increase?

I have now had two bad days - I must have jinxed myself! Been feeling anxious and jittery. Ocular migraine two days running and tingly face. It this normal with Sertraline?
    Migraines are a relatively common side-effect. They tend to occur more often when there is a past history. Tingly skin is a common initial SSRI side-effect produced by constriction of the fine blood vessels of the skin. Serotonin isn't only a brain neurotransmitter. It has many roles in the body including in blood vessel tone, constriction and dilation, and SSRIs can effect this, especially at the beginning.

How long does this medication take to be level?
    This is difficult to answer as the med doesn't have a direct effect. ADs stimulate the growth of new brain cells (neurogenesis) which produce the therapeutic response and their growth can be affected by other factors too. It can take up to 12 weeks to achieve the maximum response from a dose. However, even when working at maximum efficiency there can be the occasional bad day. They are part of the human condition.

And when do you know if you need to increase?
    If the bad days become more frequent then a dose increase should be considered. Most on sertraline take 100-150mg/day.

Thank you

I have finally had a call to say I can start CBT after being on waiting list since February. It starts tomorrow and will be delivered online. I was prescribed SSRI in Feb but did not start taking them until august as I was holding out for CBT. I am so glad I started taking them now. I will be on 8 weeks on 50mg tomorrow and I am feeling a little better. I still have anxiety every day but it is more manageable now.

when all this started it was health anxiety that triggered it but it has now developed into general anxiety as well.

I did have a major panic a couple of days ago when I woke with chest pain. It only lasted a minute but I am always convinced I am about to drop down dead with a heart attack or Stoke.

this is what I hope to address with the CBT. I have tried the online CBT and did not find it great. I find it hard to stop worrying about the future and thinking about dying all the time. I am hoping the combination of CBT and Sertraline will do the trick. I have a review with docs in 4 weeks to decide whether to increase dose or stay at 50mg.

my question today is how does everyone go about their daily lives without worrying so much that it curtails their life. I cannot imagine going back to being that person who just gets on and enjoys their days.

I have been reading a lot of books about anxiety such as Claire Weekes and Dr Harry Barry and I can understand what they are saying and it makes sense but I don’t seem to be able to apply their advice very well. I always think to myself ‘how do you know that this time it is not something other than anxiety’
    Have a good day everyone and thanks in advance for any replies.

I find it hard to stop worrying about the future and thinking about dying all the time.

...my question today is how does everyone go about their daily lives without worrying so much that it curtails their life.
    The Reaper will get us all in the end and no amount of worrying about this will add a nanosecond to our existence. Will probably shorten it as stress is humanity's leading cause of premature death. My observation is the young are much more preoccupied with death than oldies like me. We tend to gradually come to terms with it the closer it gets and for some it can be a blessing. It's not the years in your life that count; it's the life in your years.

Life is about the journey, not the destination, and this is true irrespective of what you believe that destination is. You can either half live in the shadow of death, or out in the sunshine fully embracing life. Be so busy living that you don't have time to brood about journey's end. There is a differenced between existing and living. They shouldn't be confused, but often are. Everyone dies, but not everyone really lives. The secret to a well lived life is not being one of the latter.

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a ride!"

Hunter S. Thompson

I cannot imagine going back to being that person who just gets on and enjoys their days.
    And yet when they work well, both therapy and/or meds can return your life to pretty much nearly the way it was. Not exactly the same, which is a good thing because look where that got you, but hopefully a better, more resilient version of the former you. It won't happen overnight, but there is a very good chance it will happen.

‘how do you know that this time it is not something other than anxiety’
    You don't, and one day it won't be, but how many times has it been "something other than anxiety" until now? The odds are greatly in favour of it not being. The 'funny' part is that those overwhelmed by every minor twinge, convinced that this time it really is the end, almost invariably cope magnificently with real trauma, often far better than the 'heroes'. The imagined is almost always far, far worse than the actual.

Thank you.that makes so much sense!
    I am just feeling bad as I have had a bad coupled days with anxiety and panic. Another ocular migraine last night and woke up at 5am this morning with panic attack and had another one an hour later. Feel totally drained and nauseous now.
    I have been on 50mg for 8 weeks now so it makes me think the medication is not going to work. Or is this usual with Sertraline to have these blips before it levels?
    have first CBT today.
    Last edited by Lady Penelope; 28-10-20 at 09:03. Reason: Typo

I have been on 50mg for 8 weeks now so it makes me think the medication is not going to work. Or is this usual with Sertraline to have these blips before it levels?
    Blips do happen, but I think you will probably need a higher dose. Most take 100-150mg sertraline for optimum results.

Thank you. I will leave it until the end of this week and see how I go. It seems to be a bit of a roller coaster with this medication. I have had some really good moments and some awful but I am definitely better overall. I have read that some people take 3-4 months to level on one dose. I don’t want to increase unless I really have to. Thanks again panic_down_under it really is helpful to have a reply. Makes me feel a lot less alone with this.

I have read that some people take 3-4 months to level on one dose.
    True, even longer, but by 12 weeks you'll be getting most of what the dose is capable of. After that any further improvement is usually minor, although there is considerable room for psychological improvement if the med has eliminated most of the anxiety.

I don’t want to increase unless I really have to.
    Why, because the side-effects may return? If so, they might, but they are usually less severe than at the beginning and don't last as long. However, I do recommend sertraline dose increases be no greater than 25mg at a time with at least 7 days between each increase.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread Information