Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Been trying to manage without medication but is it time to give it a go?

Re: Been trying to manage without medication but is it time to give it a go?

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Penelope View Post
    I would be interested to know what the statistics are for Sertraline. Most things I read about SRRIs are negative and I wonder what percentage of people they help.
    Unfortunately, there is little data available for the effectiveness of ADs for anxiety as most of the research is into depression (which is curious given the prevalence of anxiety disorders is significantly higher). The other issues are studies are often too short lived, typically ending at 4 weeks, and almost none that go beyond 6 weeks, plus they rarely test up to the maximum recommended dose. In my case I've always needed to take the maximum, or above to get a good result. Based on study criteria my PD would have been classed as treatment-resistant and I would have spent the past 33 years imprisoned by agoraphobia. Instead with high AD doses I was able to continue with a very demanding job until retirement and travel the world.

For depression response rates are typically around 35-45% for the first SSRI tried, going to 60-70% on the second, or third. SSRIs tend to be more effective for anxiety than depression.

It seems like they are a last resort for a a lot of people and many stop taking them within a few weeks due to the side effects.
    Yes, but not helped by many doctors treating their patients as mushrooms and not warning them about side-effects, prescribing either too high a starting dose, or ramping it up too quickly. Often they also tell patients that ADs will work within 2-4 weeks so people lose hope when they don't experience anything but side-effects during that time.

Also some people take them for a good few months and they don’t work so the have to start again with a different drug.
    Depends on the med switched too. You won't go back to zero if changing to another SSRI, and would still retain some 'credit' when switching to most TCAs.

I suppose people who have a positive experience are not posting looking for help and support.
    Support groups are not good guides to the effectiveness of any treatment and they is especially so with anxiety/depression groups and ADs. Most people have none to only mild side-effects from ADs and as you say, they aren't the ones you'll find posting here.

Thank you. Very interesting.
    You are so right about the G P. Never said anything about side effects and said it will be a few weeks before you see any improvement. Very unrealistic.

Very good of you to share your knowledge. I will try and power on through.
    i have been on Sertraline for almost three weeks now so I am hoping I am half way through to seeing some signs of improvement.
    I initially thought once I get through two weeks it will start to get better but now I know that’s unrealistic.

How long before you know they are not going to work?
    Last edited by Lady Penelope; 31-08-20 at 08:41. Reason: Errors

Today I have developed cold sores/blisters along my top lip. Could this be a side effect of Sertraline?

How long before you know they are not going to work?
    Imo, after at least 8 weeks on 200mg, because a few of us need to take high doses to get a response, but most GPs will want to pull the plug earlier.

Today I have developed cold sores/blisters along my top lip. Could this be a side effect of Sertraline?
    It could be as Herpes simplex is a listed side-effect. Not sure how that is possible especially in the time frame, but... Presumably, it will respond to the usual treatments. Usually the main skin issue to be careful of with SSRIs is they may increase skin photo-sensitivity so apply sun block, and/or cover up if outdoors for any length of time, particularly in summer.
    Last edited by panic_down_under; 31-08-20 at 13:27.

Thank you ��

Day 22 on Sertraline.
    15 days on 25mg and 7 on 37.5
    Week three has been harder than the first two weeks.
    hoping this week will be better and I will see some improvement

Hello pdu
    Just wanting your thoughts on Pristiq my Psych changed my meds and I take 50mg of this drug in the morning i started it last Friday he didn’t tell me how long before I see or feel any changes.Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Lolalee1 View Post
    Just wanting your thoughts on Pristiq
    Desvenlafaxine is a slightly better option than its parent compound venlafaxine, imo.

my Psych changed my meds
    What were you on before, at what dose and how long did you take that dose?

and I take 50mg of this drug in the morning i started it last Friday he didn’t tell me how long before I see or feel any changes.Thank you.
    Were you switched directly from the previous AD, or did you wean off it and then start taking desvenlafaxine?

I am now almost four weeks into taking Sertraline. I took 25mg for 12 days, 37.5 for 9 days and I have been on 50mg for 5 days. I am pleased that I have got this far as I had stopped Fluoxetine earlier in the year after a few days due to side effects. I have been suffering with really bad anxiety since February.

It has been a rough few weeks and I am not really seeing any improvement yet. I am hoping that now I am on 50mg I will start to notice some good effects.

I have read so much about Sertraline and the time it takes to start working seems to vary from 4 weeks to 16 weeks! I am obviously hoping I am at the lower end of that scale. I am still on the waiting list for CBT as well.

I am now almost four weeks into taking Sertraline. I took 25mg for 12 days, 37.5 for 9 days and I have been on 50mg for 5 days. I am pleased that I have got this far as I had stopped Fluoxetine earlier in the year after a few days due to side effects.
    Well done!! It takes about 5 days for sertraline plasma levels to settle to a steady state after a dose increase (or decrease) and side-effects then usually begin to diminish so the worst is now probably behind you.

I have read so much about Sertraline and the time it takes to start working seems to vary from 4 weeks to 16 weeks! I am obviously hoping I am at the lower end of that scale.
    The peak kick-in time is between 4-8 weeks, but as with everything about ADs, there are no guarantees. It all depends on individual biology and so far there is no way of accurately predicting a person's likely response to an AD.

I am still on the waiting list for CBT as well.
    Have they given you a likely time frame?

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread Information