Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Possible bat bite. Very scared of rabies

Possible bat bite. Very scared of rabies

Hi,

I've been petrified of rabies ever since I saw in the news that there were some skunks testing positive in my area.

Im currently in a huge amount of anxiety over the following situation. I was outside on Saturday night watching the fireworks...I did notice some bugs and I figured I would probably get bitten up. When I came inside, I noticed a small red mark on my arm. I figured it was a mosquito bite and didn't think much of it. Later that evening I noticed a small amount of blood coming from this wound. Upon further examination, It did not look like a mesquito but but some kind of wound. I immediately thought that I may have been bitten by a bat and not realized. Its definitely possible that it was a pimple that I scratched off or a bug bite that was scratched.

I simply cannot not let go of the thought that it may have been a bat that bit me unnoticed. I should mention, that I did not see or hear a bat but I wasn't exactly looking out for them.

I'm having so much anxiety right now as to whether I should go to the ER and get the rabies vaccine.

Any advice or help you may have is appreciated.

Re: Possible bat bite. Very scared of rabies

Out of all of the years of people thinking that maybe they were bitten without realizing it over the years, none of them have ever been bitten. Unless you were drunk, stoned or high out of your mind, there is no way you could've been bitten without knowing it.

I appreciate the reply but I've read that bat bites can be so slight that they are not felt. Also, it's possible I felt some small bites and figured they were mesquitos.

Quote Originally Posted by Goingtobed View Post
    I appreciate the reply but I've read..... .
    Dr. Google strikes again

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Does anyone think i should try and get the vaccine just to be safe?

Nope. And dude, you don't want the vaccine. It has a lot of side effects, and requires multiple visits to the doc.

I've had a bat brush against me, it's not something you could fail to notice, trust me. I'm not sure quite how out of it you'd have to be to not notice one biting you, but like Antsy, I'd guess that heavy amounts of substances would be involved.

You would have to be unconscious to not notice a bat near you. They are surprisingly solid! (And adorable) but I’ve held and been around bats. Had a few nearly clip me while they were swooping around eating the bugs in my garden. You definitely feel them go by that’s for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

But I have promises to keep,

And miles to go before I sleep. - Robert Frost

thanks for the responses. Due to my anxiety, I still can't shake the worry. Its just because I don't know where the wound came from. It did seem more like a surface wound then a deep wound and there was only one, not 2 marks. Also there wasn't any pain and it completely healed by the next day.....

In other words, you're being ridiculous. It's safe to forget this one.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information