Thread: Worried about endoscopy and oesophageal cancer

Worried about endoscopy and oesophageal cancer

Hi - this is my first time posting on here, although I have always come to the site for past fears. I am currently paralysed with fear about oesophageal cancer - I am 51 and have had reflux symptoms for 15-odd years that I have treated with Ranitidine and more recently Nexium after Ranitidine was withdrawn. For the past few months, I’ve had vague occasional abdominal discomfort sometimes radiating to back - not pain, more of a dull ache. I’ve also occasionally noticed that it feels like bread “sticks” a little in the chest and is shifted with water. For the duration of my reflux, if I drink liquids on top of food I tend to get a lot of regurgitation of food into the mouth. This has not been acidic though since being on the PPIs. I am currently crippled with anxiety waiting for an endoscopy and ultrasound next week as I am convinced they will tell me I have oesophageal cancer. I don’t have any weight loss or black stools, etc. Keen to hear if anyone has had similar symptoms and been told it is a benign condition - not sure how I am going to get through the next few days.

Re: Worried about endoscopy and oesophageal cancer

I have reflux for about 20 years and take omperazole.
    I had an endoscopy last week and one a year ago.
    The gastroenterologist told me , that controlled reflux is unlikely to cause problems.
    In the past I have had occasional feelings of food sticking and sometimes get slight regurgitation, being stressed definitely makes it worse.
    Good luck with the endoscopy, they should give you the results shortly after the procedure which is good.

Quote Originally Posted by Twilfred51 View Post
    Hi - this is my first time posting on here, although I have always come to the site for past fears. I am currently paralysed with fear about oesophageal cancer - I am 51 and have had reflux symptoms for 15-odd years that I have treated with Ranitidine and more recently Nexium after Ranitidine was withdrawn. For the past few months, I’ve had vague occasional abdominal discomfort sometimes radiating to back - not pain, more of a dull ache. I’ve also occasionally noticed that it feels like bread “sticks” a little in the chest and is shifted with water. For the duration of my reflux, if I drink liquids on top of food I tend to get a lot of regurgitation of food into the mouth. This has not been acidic though since being on the PPIs. I am currently crippled with anxiety waiting for an endoscopy and ultrasound next week as I am convinced they will tell me I have oesophageal cancer. I don’t have any weight loss or black stools, etc. Keen to hear if anyone has had similar symptoms and been told it is a benign condition - not sure how I am going to get through the next few days.
    Hi, I've had these symptoms over the years and have had a couple of gastroscopies which have been fine. I've also had the same fears as you. I'm 63 and have had these sympoms on and off for 30+ years.
    Mine is related to motility issues and I've also had oesophageal spasms which can cause a pain which can radiate to the back area. Both these issues are benign but are not pleasant. I have some autoimmune issues which are responsible for these happening. I don't get them all the time, they just flare up from time to time.

I sometimes get reflux but mine is due to lower stomach acid (which can cause the same symptoms as too much acid), so I don't take PPI's. I find that liquid Gaviscon after a meal helps me. Drinking small amounts of water with a dry food like bread will help but not large amounts after a meal. Digestive enzymes (taken with each meal) also helps.

ps. Your symptoms don't sound like OC, If you had this you would be choking, vomiting up food and loosing weight.

1. We did the hard months in lockdown abiding by rules for you to get here.
    2. No one gives a shit if you prefer white towels or hotels with sea views.
    You're in quarantine for fourteen days ...obey the rules.

Thanks so much for the reply pb - really appreciate it. I guess the definitive conclusion can only come from the endoscopy and ultrasound. I will just be in a state of apoplexy until then!

Thanks so much for your words wisemonkey - really appreciate you taking the time to provide some reassurance and share your experiences. Here’s hoping that I have a similar outcome.

Thread Information