Thread: Can you feel your intestines? (Lump on right side)

Can you feel your intestines? (Lump on right side)

I was lying on my back and prodding my belly (as you do) and I thought it felt firmer on the right side than the left. I can't tell if there is actually a lump. DH says no, but admitted it did feel firmer on that side. To me it feels like a wide sausage-shape. I can feel the same on the left but it's higher up on the left and I know that is my colon. Worried about the right side thing, which is level with belly button.

Are tummies meant to be assymetrical like this? Is it normal to feel muscle/fat/organs? Help!

Re: Can you feel your intestines? (Lump on right side)

Quote Originally Posted by ihateha View Post
    I was lying on my back and prodding my belly (as you do)
    Actually, that's not "as you do". I would safely venture to say that most people don't intentionally lie on their backs, poke and prod looking for lumps and bumps in their bellies We're asymmetrical by nature and of course, you can feel certain organs, fat and muscle if you poke and prod. Doctors do that all the time when they examine you.

The solution is simple... don't do that!

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Thanks, fishmanpa. You always seem to be a voice of reason on here.
    I just worried as Dr Google suggests that when doctors do a physical exam they will be looking for asymmetry. Well, I have found it!
    So I got concerned.
    Hate this stupid health anxiety. :-(

That's actually normal. There's no delicate way of putting this, but what you are feeling is most likely waste moving through your intestines.

I asked the doctor about this a while back: O_O is right, it's just waste and it's normal. It's also totally normal to be able to feel organs/muscles etc. My doctor said that mine were really obvious because I'm skinny, but anyone will be able to find lumps there if they go looking. Its totally harmless, it's just the body being weird!

Since I’ve been experiencing digestive issues since Feb, the top half of my stomach is extended and solid but the bottom part is loose. When I’m really full of gas, if I lie on my left side and feel my abdomen, the left side is sunken and soft but the right side is solid and looks like a mountain ridge. Noticed this some weeks ago and panicked, thought I had a tumour or something. Thankfully, the gas has improved but not gone and I do not seem to get this now. I don’t usually sit and prod my tummy only since I’ve been rough.

I did a search on here for something just like this .I havent been aware of any lumps/bumps until last night. My tum is quite soft and feels normal when standing , sitting No pain or discomfort.. .I turned onto my back last night and stretched legs out, my hand rested on right mid/lower abdomen and then i felt a hard lump, almost elongated,hard to define.I checked on the left and nothing there at all. Still there today...it seems to be in the spot where the ascending colon is . I admit i googled a picture and its pretty knotted up with intestine turns in that area... Could it be that im not very muscular in tum area and dont carry much weight that im feeling internal organs..Have a very severe medical phobia and at moment just trying to calm my mind down with this ...

Oh my, I always feel lumps, clumps and bumps in my abdomen, left side, right side and I see so little from Dr. Google on this so am glad to see this post. And sometimes my lumps aren't there at all. As someone else said, I assume it's p__p. Sometimes when I lie down I can actually see the lumps moving. My old gyno doctor used to tell me I am easy to examine because I am so thin. So if you are thin you can definitely feel these things more easily.

Did anyone ever find out what this was? I have two solid long sausage type lumps on either side of my abdomen. My right side is slightly lower and more prominent. :(

Thread Information