Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Covitudes..

Covitudes..

If this thread is inappropriate please feel free to remove because I don't want to upset anyone..

Most annoying words to come out of politicians' mouths during the last few months..

For me:

The Great British Public

We are making massive strides to defeat the virus/ Together we will defeat the virus (who are they trying to kid?)

Ramping up..anything

Unprecedented times (an obvious one)

Enjoy Summer Safely...(For the lucky few in their palatial second homes)

According to the latest scientific advice... (can change by the hour)

If at all possible..(Leeway to please yourself)

Re: Covitudes..

“When you say that we lead in coronavirus cases, that's because we have more testing than anybody else.So when we have a lot of cases, I don't look at that as a bad thing. I look at that as, in a certain respect, as being a good thing because it means our testing is much better. So I view it as a badge of honor. Really, it's a badge of honor.
    --Trump

That one made me want to puke.

Can I add as a general thing "uptick" and "downtick" please?

What's wrong with "increase" and "decrease"?

Oh, for our own version of the Académie Française...

Urghhh......."Uptick"...Another grisly buzzword that will now feature prominently in our vocabulary no doubt.

Not here it won't!

I just hate all these crappy management-speak buzzwords/phrases, like "going forward". I've heard that used like a bloddy full stop by some people.

Also add to my hate-list; people who start every sentence (usually on TV/radio interviews) with 'so'.

So...

Management buzzwords are annoying. I always used to loathe 'perception management' which only ever meant 'cover our arses so we dont look bad and spin our crap performance into something less likely sounding like a load of crap'.

Flatten the curve gets my vote. Since we are talking bell shapes on a chart I would have gone with something more like 'we want a smaller bellend'.

I have always hated the use of the word "robust" to cover any form of policy. Also "passionate" ..

All the slick deliveries in the world can't conceal BS when it's there for all to see.

Quote Originally Posted by pulisa View Post
    Urghhh......."Uptick"...Another grisly buzzword that will now feature prominently in our vocabulary no doubt.
    Don't mean to sound pedantic, but surely the actual word 'uptick' predates this current pandemic by a long way, it's just one of many that has entered more common parlance during this pandemic.

Similar, say, to the term 'anti-social behaviour', which had already been around for eons, but didn't become a daily 'buzzword' until after 1998 when our Crime and Disorder bill was first passed in Parliament, though that's a whole 'nother story!!

I know that was a completely different thing altogether, but for the record, does anyone remember any irritating 'buzzwords' used during the Credit Crunch back in 2008-09, (which of course was our last major crisis on a global scale)?

Quote Originally Posted by Lencoboy View Post
    Don't mean to sound pedantic, but surely the actual word 'uptick' predates this current pandemic by a long way, it's just one of many that has entered more common parlance during this pandemic.

Similar, say, to the term 'anti-social behaviour', which had already been around for eons, but didn't become a daily 'buzzword' until after 1998 when our Crime and Disorder bill was first passed in Parliament, though that's a whole 'nother story!!
    I'd never heard of "uptick" before..Sounds like a parasite!

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information