Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Covitudes..

Re: Covitudes..

Quote Originally Posted by Lencoboy View Post
    I know that was a completely different thing altogether, but for the record, does anyone remember any irritating 'buzzwords' used during the Credit Crunch back in 2008-09, (which of course was our last major crisis on a global scale)?

"Now, more than ever" really gets under my skin.

Not Covid related, but there's a charity advert on at the moment with a woman who says "As a mother...". I'm not a mother, I will never be a mother - but I still have more than enough empathy to understand and want to help people suffering. Argh!

I agree...You don't need skills to be a birth mother but mothers in general tend to be classed as beyond reproach and positively bursting with empathy and kindness..Sadly not a general rule. Mothers shouldn't be portrayed as having the exclusive on compassion.

Now, more than ever (sorry!) we need truth and honesty from our politicians but that will never happen.

I've never been a big fan of cliches/buzzwords. After all, at the end of the day, if nobody has anything new to bring to the table, none of us are going to be any the wiser, moving forward. What we need is a clear goal. Is the topic of this thread fit for purpose? When all is said and done, it's hardly unprecedented, that is to say, can anyone give me a ballpark figure on this kind of thread when the shouting's over? What we need is a holistic approach, incorporating diversity, appreciation of the new normal, using our emotional intelligence and to discover some high order thinking while I consider downsizing and an exit strategy from this post.

(Looks for hammer to throw at FM65)

Quote Originally Posted by ocdbaking View Post
    "Now, more than ever" really gets under my skin.

Not Covid related, but there's a charity advert on at the moment with a woman who says "As a mother...". I'm not a mother, I will never be a mother - but I still have more than enough empathy to understand and want to help people suffering. Argh!
    A comment that backfired spectacularly during the previous Tory leadership campaign when Andrea Leadsom suggested being a mother made her a better choice than Theresa May.

Oh, and yes - "Now, more than ever" makes me grit my teeth too.

[QUOTE=fishman65;1957896]I've never been a big fan of cliches/buzzwords. After all, at the end of the day, if nobody has anything new to bring to the table, none of us are going to be any the wiser, moving forward. What we need is a clear goal. Is the topic of this thread fit for purpose? When all is said and done, it's hardly unprecedented, that is to say, can anyone give me a ballpark figure on this kind of thread when the shouting's over? What we need is a holistic approach, incorporating diversity, appreciation of the new normal, using our emotional intelligence and to discover some high order thinking while I consider downsizing and an exit strategy from this post.[/QUOT

An exit strategy? Please keep going, Fishman..You're a natural for the hustings! You'd give Mr Cummings a run for his vision-impaired money!

"Our silent enemy..." is getting real old.

There are a number or two-word buzz phrases that I never want to hear again:

self-isolate
    social-distance

plus all the acronyms:

PPE

CV

and those all purpose phrases 'Save lives, save the NHS' and 'our heart goes out to ... blah blah blah'.

The NHS was saved . but what about saving my sanity!!

Yeah, I can't wait to hear the term social distancing has been consigned to the dustbin of history. I always think it's a try hard term, the middle aged trying to be down with the kids.

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information