Thread: Blood in urine

Blood in urine

For the second time in three months, I found blood in my urine when I got up this morning. Last time, I was referred to A&E who did lots of tests and everything was clear, so they sent me home with no explanation as to why it might have happened. They said come back if it happened again, so I did and again, all the tests were negative. However, because it's the second time and because of my age (65) I've been referred to the fast track urology clinic and Im petrified. My health anxiety has gone into overdrive because it might be bladder cancer, even though the doctor said the referral was to rule it out, not to find it and she thought it was unlikely. Has anyone else gone through this? My family are all tired of constantly reassuring me as I go from cancer scare to cancer scare and I don't know where to turn except here. Please could someone give me some advice and/or a virtual hug?

Re: Blood in urine

I don't know if I can help much, but I can give a virtual hug.

Seeing blood in your urine is scary. I've seen it a couple of times over my almost sixty years. I've had the complete workup twice. The last one was four years ago. It was totally clean. I think the blood was from my awesomely named [sarcasm] vaginal atrophy.

I had some microscopic blood in my urine last year and was following up with my urologist a few weeks ago. I asked him how long the workup was good for. (There are varying opinions about that on Dr. Google.) He gave me this long blah, blah, blah, about if I saw blood in my urine again it would change the whole game. Then he took my urine sample and said, "That's two perfectly clean urine samples in a row. You're good to go. Don't look at your urine any more." I drove home trying to process what he's said. If you see blood then we gotta do a whole work up, so don't look at your urine anymore? I didn't even know what to think. I still don't know what to think.

Maybe you have vaginal atrophy too? I don't know, but I do know it's scary, and I'm so sorry you are going through this. My family doesn't get it either. I totally get you though. I'm grateful for this online site where we can connect with others who totally get us.

Keep us posted.

Best,
    Debbie

Hi, I can’t comment on female issues but can say that I have microscopic blood in my urine which was minimal and now is moderate. I’ve also got protein. I had the camera in the bladder some weeks back. All clear. Ultrasound, all clear. Referred to the kidney people on Tuesday who confirmed all okay. It can always be a minor issue if anything at all. I think there are a few on here that have blood in their urine and it’s nothing. Sending you positive thoughts and best wishes. Please try not to worry. I know it can be difficult but it makes the situation worse.

What exactly is vaginal atrophy? I'm 55 btw.

Thread Information