Thread: Citalopram to Sertraline - side effects?

Citalopram to Sertraline - side effects?

I was on Citalopram 20mg for health anxiety/anxiety for 3 months with no discernible improvement. The dose was then increased to 40mg, which I have been on for about 6 months, though again, there is no discernible difference. My health anxiety is no better, anxiety hasn't improved and if anything there is now depression in play. I'm quite certain the mental impact of the coronavirus pandemic hasn't helped the situation.

I have now started counselling, and it has been suggested that it's probably time to change the medication, given the lack of any improvement (only real positive I can note is no panic attacks whilst I have been on the medication). Sertraline has been suggested as the next one to try.

I have been very fortunate that despite citalopram not working for me, I haven't had any side effects. So my question is, if I haven't had side effects on citalopram, is this likely to be the case with sertraline, given both are SSRI's? Or does it not work that way?

Thanks.

Re: Citalopram to Sertraline - side effects?

Quote Originally Posted by mcohen View Post
    So my question is, if I haven't had side effects on citalopram, is this likely to be the case with sertraline, given both are SSRI's? Or does it not work that way?
    Unfortunately, not. However, a slow cross-taper taper is likely to minimize any side-effects.

Thread Information