Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to Propranolol

New to Propranolol

Hi I've posted recently about a couple of things and think I am going to have to give in and start taking Propranolol as prescribed by my doctor (10mg 3 times a day or as required). I'm just not sure as I don't have a racing heart but my symptom is definitely anxiety related. When I focus I feel a heavy sensation behind my nose, it gets stronger and stronger the more I think about it. Then when I relax it ebbs away. It's causing me distress daily now when out and about hence reason for considering taking it to see if it helps. My question is has anyone else took it for something similar? Not necessarily just for heart palpitations. I feel I'm spending the majority of my day focusing on the sensation and not having a normal existence at the moment.

Re: New to Propranolol

l am sorry to hear how you feel l have been on propranolol in the past but for racing heart beat

You said you're focusing on this symptom all day that's the reason its staying with you its about changing your thought process

I'm sure the meds will help with the anxiety try to relax when you can and take your mind away from that symptom wishing you well

best wishes xx

I can't see how propranolol is going to have any effect on a habitual behaviour.

It seems an odd thing to describe for somebody not experiencing a racing heart beat or without a heart condition, which is really what it's for. It will help alleviate some of the more physical symptoms of anxiety like palpitations and tachycardia, but as far as I know it won't affect your actual anxiety levels or stop you focusing on a symptom at all. That's a behavioral issue.

Did you Doctor say why this was being prescribed in particular?

Quote Originally Posted by KatieProsecco View Post
    My question is has anyone else took it for something similar?
    Beta-blockers have no direct effect on anxiety in the way say Valium (diazepam) does. They only block the physical symptoms of the adrenaline surge often triggered by the flight-or-fight response. While this can greatly help with some anxiety disorders, this doesn't seem to be an issue for you based on what you've posted. Therapy is much more likely to help you overcome your problem. A sedative such as mirtazapine at low doses may help while you're waiting to see a therapist. The antihistamine hydroxyzine (Vistaril) would be an even better choice as it has reasonably potent anti anxiety properties and is usually less sedating than mirtazapine, but my understanding is UK GPs are restricted in what they can prescribe it for. I don't know why, it's as cheap as chips, about £8 for a year's supply of 25mg. Wouldn't hurt to ask though.

Originally I had health anxiety and got myself so worked up my doctor prescribed it. That was couple of years ago and now only left with the one symptom I create by focusing on it. I didnt take it then very much but instead got put on 10mg of Citralopan. Was on that for 9 months and came off as felt better (could have been a placebo effect) now I'm back down the rabbit hole of feeling the sensation and really struggling so the doc says to try Propranalol as and when required and see how I get on I'm just not sure what to do to target this one. I do everything, meditate, exercise etc and feel great at the time but the feeling creeps in soon afterwards. I am also fine when doing physical things like cooking. Funnily enough it's not there when I lie down or first thing in the morning. Any suggestions at all as I'm at a loss as to what to do! :-(

Thank you for your reply, I have good days and think I have a handle on it then a bad day and I start to think about suitable meditation to give me some breathing space to help me understand that I'm actually creating it by focussing in it.

Thanks, I'll see what my GP says next time we speak. I'm guessing it's trial and error with me. :-(

Quote Originally Posted by KatieProsecco View Post
    I didnt take it then very much but instead got put on 10mg of Citralopan. Was on that for 9 months and came off as felt better (could have been a placebo effect) now I'm back down the rabbit hole of feeling the sensation and really struggling
    The placebo effect usually doesn't last 9 months so it was likely the citalopram even though the dose was below the normal therapeutic range. If the other options don't work you could go back on it. However, I would suggest taking at least 20mg as sub therapeutic dosing may increase the risk of the med pooping-out.

Thanks I just want to get to the bottom of it as without sounding dramatic it's taking over my life and making me miserable. :-(

So to get things straight, you have a sensation behind your nose that you can't stop focusing on, and it's making you miserable?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information