Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I don’t know what to do

I don’t know what to do

Hi there hope you’re doing ok. I am in a very strange dilemma, and, essentially I feel like if people could experience being in my mind and all the thoughts etc. then there would be a mutual agreement that, yes, I should be euthanised (yes, I know this sounds unlikely/is obviously impossible/sounds drastic/extreme/crazy etc.). BUT although it sounds incredibly irrational, potentially it’s true, we can never know. I should add that I realise a lot of people with mental health problems would say similar, so in this instance if it were imagined that there really is zero hope, and that in some way is akin or even worse than being diagnosed with a painful terminal illness. Sorry if any of this sounds weird or like I’m being pretentious, I am not naturally this way. I’m also very tired.

Another quandary...is suicide ever actually ok? if someone’s pain is so great and will always be there ruining their life (imagine this as a fact). If someone who is intelligent had a certainty that all their loved ones (and strangers) would actually SUPPORT such an action and potentially even assist them (I know it’s illegal/ potentially wrong, I’m talking hypothetically here), although the pain is immeasurable, it’s not impossible that everyone might actually agree it is a necessary “choice”?! I feel I’m in this position and people will naturally disagree (as I would have 3 months ago) but it’s not actually an IMPOSSIBLE idea. I mean the idea that IF they could experience being me and then going back to being them then they would wholeheartedly agree and even support it (despite the impact on themselves, as in it really is THAT bad). Please be open mind about this ‘question’, I can imagine some of the responses but I am curious. I know it sounds extreme, and I’m sorry if I offend or anything, potentially being paranoid about that comment/ I’m incredibly tired and obviously in a bad frame of mind. Much love and look forward to hearing people’s opinions... I think!! 😊

Re: I don’t know what to do

Suicide hurts the people left behind.

Also, there are so many in this world that don’t get much of a chance at life. Don’t we owe it to those people to live the lives they never got a chance to have?

Yes, of course it does. Yes we do I can’t argue with that. My point was really that in some cases those who would be left behind would be glad someone’s suffering was over more so than they would feel disappointed/hurt/abandoned etc. I am not trying to justify suicide as an answer, although I realise it probably sounds it. I know that, personally, if I could really know another’s pain was too great then I would rather they be, essentially euthanised as we do with our beloved pets when they are in too great a pain. In some cases I guess I’m trying to say that it’s not implausible that it’s the ones who want you to stay are the ones being ‘selfish’. I kind of know this sounds like I’m trying to justify suicide as an answer, and my usual self would not be writing this...I have come to the realisation recently that nobody can judge another, it just doesn’t work like that. We can’t know how others feel FULLY and I now, unfortunately, can empathise with people who take the horrendous route of ending themselves. I’ve been in the position of completely not understanding why anyone would ever do such a thing, I’ve also been in the position of thinking I might have to resort to it and unfortunately have now been in the position of thinking it is the answer (which I realise people will dispute til the cows come home). I couldn’t have fathomed ever being in this position. It’s a tough one, and normally I would be saying exactly the same things as other people are saying to me at the moment.

Things can improve in time though, so suicide could prevent the things from getting better for the mentally ill person
    Ebony (1st January 2014 - 2nd March 2018)
    Tigger (31st October 2014 - current)
    Willow (3rd November 2018 - current)

Yes that is true, hence I will give myself more time and remind myself that I never intended this.

Quote Originally Posted by whispershadow View Post
    Things can improve in time though, so suicide could prevent the things from getting better for the mentally ill person
    Great point, Whisper.

Hi Lozza. That old saying that suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem, it's true. In February of 1989 aged 23 I tried to do what you're currently thinking about. Luckily I failed. There was no internet then so the only people I could realistically turn to were family and friends. They were worried about me I later discovered but had no idea how desperate I was.

However I've now been married for nearly 24 years and have three children plus grandchildren. The years since then haven't always been easy but I haven't regretted them. Please know that things won't always be as they are now for you. Take care of yourself, your life is very precious.

Thanks for your comments I appreciate what you’re saying completely. I do however feel the point has been missed somewhat and the message misunderstood.

No, I just don't think that we agree with you. I don't think there is any kind of mental anguish that many people would agree to allow their loved one to take their own life. There are very few physical conditions (like a brain tumor or stroke where brain function is lost) that many people would allow their relatives assisted suicide.

Hey. I understand exactly what u mean.
    I also often think about suicide, especially lately.
    But I hesitate to do this because I do not want to hurt my family.
    And if I had no one, then I hardly wrote this message.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information