Thread: Covid - failed tests?

Covid - failed tests?

I recently took a Covid swab test at a drive through facility. I was handed a kit and told to do the test myself. The result was negative but how do I know I carried out the test properly. If I didn't would there have been a result along the lines of 'invalid swab'? If not then how many times has the diy test given a false reassurance?

Re: Covid - failed tests?

Hi, do you have any symptoms and if so how long did they occur prior to the test? Ideally the test needs to be done, accurately, within 3-5 days, though up to 8 is considered the threshold. That’s not to say people don’t test positive after this time.

No symptoms. I wasnt really raising the question for my own test but would like to know whether the labs can tell if a test was not done correctly as opposed to a true negative result. Surely this should be known.

I bc don’t think they can.

I think you are right so it throws doubt on all the diy negative results for 14 days after they are done. Strange that this does not seem to be remarked upon.

The swabs are sensitive if done correctly. If someone were to accidentally touch the tongue of roof of mouth, I was told it could invalidate the test. It had to be done correctly.

The antibody test can show negative despite someone having had the virus. Not everyone produces antibodies and some fight the virus with T Cells. Good news is more people have immunity than what official figures declare.

Hi

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your post was moved from its original place to a sub-forum that is more relevant to your issue.

This is nothing personal - it just enables us to keep posts about the same problems in the relevant forums so other members with any experience with the issues can find them more easily.

Please also read this post:

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=213239

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

They're apparently 70% accurate.

The test is not 100% accurate; at present it is thought to detect approximately 70% of coronavirus infections. A negative test does not mean that you stop self-isolating if you have coronavirus symptoms. Tests are completely voluntary.
    Source: https://www.ouh.nhs.uk/working-for-u...y%20voluntary.

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” - Richard Feynman

☪️️

If done correctly within 3-5 days ideally, or up to 8 On occasions.

Thread Information