Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Skipped dose, breakthrough anxiety?

Skipped dose, breakthrough anxiety?

I skipped a dose a few days ago, and now I’ve had three days of breakthrough anxiety. Anyone else experienced this? I had some major stress lately too, especially when visiting my borderline mother

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: Skipped dose, breakthrough anxiety?

Quote Originally Posted by Piano View Post
    I skipped a dose a few days ago, and now I’ve had three days of breakthrough anxiety. Anyone else experienced this? I had some major stress lately too, especially when visiting my borderline mother
    Paroxetine has a very short half-life so the missed dose may have had an impact, but it could equally be the heightened stress is overpowering the med at your current dose, perhaps even a combination of both. What dose are you on?

Hi, it must have been just breakthrough anxiety, it got better after a few days. Hugs to anyone who needs it

Hi, it must have been just breakthrough anxiety, it got better after a few days. Hugs to anyone who needs it

And now I’m having breakthrough anxiety again this time I didn’t miss a dose please give me hugs

And now I’m having breakthrough anxiety again this time I didn’t miss a dose
    Probably a silly question given the times we live in, but are you under greater than usual stress at the moment, or has something changed in your life? Also how much paroxetine are you taking and how long have you been on this dose?

I am on 30 mg paroxetine, I have been on it for about 4 years. I have a cold at the moment, and I feel very frustrated about it.

I am on 30 mg paroxetine, I have been on it for about 4 years. I have a cold at the moment, and I feel very frustrated about it.
    The cold may be a factor both emotionally and physically. An immune system in overdrive can trigger or worsen anxiety and depression. These are arguably symptoms of an immune system disorder (see also). Patients taking immune system boosting meds such as interferon to treat viral diseases and cancers are now often also routinely prescribed an AD because of this. Immune system proteins may also reduce the effectiveness of antidepressants.

The breakthrough anxiety may ease once you get over the cold. If it doesn't then discuss increasing the dose to 40mg with your GP/psychiatrist. It might not be a bad idea to up it anyway as 30mg seems to be only just enough to keep anxiety at bay when everything is going well. Paroxetine has only a short half-life and no active metabolite to extend its effectiveness so if you're taking immediate-release paroxetine consider splitting the dose to 1x20mg morning and night if the dose is raised to 40mg. Personally, I'd do this even with the slow-release formulations, however, many doctors discourage split dosing because the more often a med needs to be taken daily the more likely patients are to stop taking it altogether. We can be a fickle bunch.

Thank you so much for your thorough and caring answer. I will definitely consider increasing the dose if the anxiety doesn’t stop when I am over the cold. Thank you thank you so much

I upped my dose on Friday, and it already seems to be helping for the anxiety. I really really hope this will help

It will likely take a little longer to fully kick-in, but it sounds promising.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information