Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

Thread: Acid reflux

Re: Acid reflux

Hi Molly, the only issue I have in my stomach is severe bloating and minor discomfort. The other symptoms of the reflux are burning nose, mouth, eyes, sour taste in mouth, watery mouth, sore throat, belching to name just a few symptoms. To be honest, the symptoms are not bc as bad as earlier in the year.

The GI is renowned for being really good. He sprayed the back of my throat with the numbing gel prior to giving me sedation. I can’t lie, it was awful and I did panic. I was coughing and sat bolt upright. Felt as though I was suffocating. I couldn’t feel my throat and my chest felt and sounded full of water. It’s a horrible experience. The sedation knocked me out totally then I woke. I thought I had been awake through it and that it only took a few minutes. The truth was it took 15 minutes and I was out. If you have it, go for sedation and not the numbing spray - that’s my advice.

I need to get the new medication prescribed now then see if the hernia can be repaired and what the risks are. Thinking back, I recall lifting some heavy kit at work to help my driver out. Shortly after that my tummy swelled. It was also in an awful condition with the trial drug.

I must admit that I have piece of mind now but cannot live like this. I wasn’t content with what the drs had said and so glad that I pushed for the CT & endoscope which proved a different diagnosis. 9 months of hell worrying it was my pancreas, liver, kidneys, thyroid, heart and a Covid. It has really been hell, personally and professionally, so I can emphasise with what you are going through.

Strange as the CT never picked it up. It actually states no sign of hernia. To be told I had one was a surprise.

I hope you can get to the bottom of your issues and I will post the name of the recommended drug tomorrow. They are not PPI’s but H2RA. They are much stronger and work in a different way.

Take care

Hi mightypc

I'm glad you feel relieved. All the reflux symptoms you have are the same as mine not nice. I had heard the numbing spray is not so nice im surprised you got both I always thought it was either sedation or spray.

For the hernia it depends how big it is as they dont usually do much for them unless its causing major issues.

What I notice is the tighter my diaphragm is from anxiety the worse the reflux .

I'm going to give it a few days and think over what gastro doc says and if I still feel worried im going to call her back and ask for the endoscopy.

Xx

Hi Molly, the hernia is 2cms which is borderline large. < 2 cms is classified as small. The Hernia is what’s causing my bloating and reflux. I will try the recommended drug treatment but if I’m not totally satisfied I will asked for it to be repaired. I’m not overly vain, but the bloating is horrendous and I cannot live as I have for the past 9 months. Having had a heart attack I cannot go through day to day life with chest discomfort, breathlessness etc assuming each time it’s reflux.

I had the spray and sedation as I went private. If I were to have it done again, I will not opt for the spray.

I really hope you get sorted out Molly. Let me know how you get on and what you decide.

Take care

Hi mightypc

Yes see how it goes and like you say if it doesn't settle you can ask for something to be done .

I have emailed the consultant today to say I think I want the endoscopy but not heard anything back yet . Xx

Good luck Molly. Keep me posted. Hopefully you can get sorted too.

I’m told by the GP that there has been no availability of H2RA drugs for the best part of the year. If they are unable to source I will ask the consultant for the repair. Omprezole, Lansoprazole and the like do not work. I will probably up end up having to self fund again like I did with the antibiotics!

Im waking every morning with a sore throat and chest. Have popped up the pillows too but slip down during the night. I would never have thought that reflux- acid could cause so much problems!

Hi mightypc

Yes the h2 blockers have been off the market for some time because of safety concerns .

I am the same I sleep with pillow propped up and my bed legs raised and every night I slide down and wake with a sore throat and heavy chest like mucus in my chest .Once I'm up and about it goes but its a horrible feeling.

I'm with you on that acid reflux is a nightmare who knew it can cause this much misery xx

Hi Molly, I managed to get a packet of HR2A from my chemist. They had one pack left, so a good indication if they work. I’ve been on them since Friday evening and if anything it’s worse. I’m sweating too which is also a sign of acid reflux, which I read. I feel utterly miserable with this and find it’s interfering with my life. I’ve got this constant sore throat, burning chest and arms, light sour taste in my mouth, a nose that burns out hot air which is a nightmare whilst wearing a mask and I ache all over like I have arthritis. My mood changes with this too. I start to get intolerant and snappy. I repeat myself in saying I would never had believed - still don’t really, this can cause so many problems. If I have no improvement in a few weeks I will use my insurance and ask for it to be repaired. I’m not willing to live like this. The medication so far is not controlling it. Left uncontrolled this can cause a lot of unpleasant conditions further along the line.

How have you been? I hope you have had some relief. Have a nice day and enjoy what’s left of the weekend!

You sound truly miserable today . I feel your pain.

Mines is not food today either. Have the watery burning throat feeling. Its awful.

Yes acid reflux can cause issues but it takes a long long time my gp told me years and years and years . Hopefully we will be sorted well before then. Xx

Did your symptoms get better? I am in a similar situation to you at the moment and I agree it’s hell!!! Hope to hear from you.

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

Thread Information