Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Acid reflux

Acid reflux

Hi all .

I am currently going through a terrible time with stomach issues . I have horrendous acid reflux had it for about 10 weeks i am 44 . It all started when I was going through a horrendous amount of stress . I now have worried myself sick that I have something awful. All I do is worry about my stomach all day. I am taking nexium which work to a certain degree but find they wear off at night. My symptoms are burning throat constant burping gurgling empty hollow feeling in top of stomach constant saliva especially at night all I do is swallow I feel like I'm going to choke horrid tsste in mouth at night . Last night was so bad I honestly didn't realise how bad acid could be i haven't slept as lying down makes it worse. I have had a ct scan and ultrasound 8 weeks ago both ok. I asked my doctor about helicobacter and he said just take the eradication therapy anyway and see if it works without being tested as he said I would need to come off the nexium for 2 weeks so I could get tested and i dont feel that's possible right now. I asked for the blood test as you don't need to come off the meds and he said no it would be stool sample . I explained I was tested in January for it via blood test at my old practice and was negative so if it was positive now I would take the meds but he said we don't do that. I had it 8 years ago and completed the antibiotics and it went but I was positive then. I dont want to take antibiotics for something I don't even know I have as it could make it worse. I've never had such awful symptoms and can't believe they are so debilitating . Anyone else in the same situation. I would appreciate some advice please.

Xxx
    Last edited by molly15; 23-07-20 at 14:56.

Re: Acid reflux

Me! I’ve got it quite badly at the moment and have started omeprazole (nexium) again. I have good days and bad days, but mine generally makes me cough - and I have asthma so it’s rubbish.
    I find liquid gaviscon good and definitely recommend it after meals and before bed. I’m eating very little and often.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi thanks for your reply .

I tried gaviscon last night but no relief at all . I dont seem to have any good days at the moment night time is worse though. What dose of nexiem are you on? im on 20 mg but just feel its not enough I might double the dose for a bit.

What's your diet like?

Hi my diet is good always has been. But when the stress started I stopped eating for 6 weeks and was on diazepam I was living on porridge literally. I'm back eating well now but finding it hard with this acid . I find im holding myself so tight in my stomach so not sure if that making it worse .

Can you elaborate on good diet? Some things that are technically healthy can be big reflux triggers.

Stress can be the trigger (it was for me), but you might find that things you ate before are now a problem in the short term. Have you noticed anything specific that causes a reaction?

Before all the stress started I ate a low carb diet and never had any stomach issues.. Just now I'm eating a bit more carbs as I'm trying to get the weight back on from when I wasn't eating .So I'm eating porridge in morning protein shake chicken salads crackers soft cheese brocoli apples trying to keep it plain and simple. I drink only green tea and water .

Be careful with the protein shakes, they are notorious for causing digestion issues.

It's possible that it's the anxiety causing it. I never got on well with medication and there is a lot of conflicting information about the efficacy of acid reflux meditation anyway. The issue isn't too much acid (there is enough strong acid in your stomach to dissolve metal) as we are designed to cope with strong acids, the issue is that the acid is in the wrong place. By medicating the acid away, we are effectively neutralising a normal bodily process, which may have it's own issues long term.

It's also possible that your low carb diet (which are usually high fat right) has exacerbated the issue over time. Possible, not definite.

The solution I found was to use apple cider vinegar. There is plenty of information about it online which suggests that it's not enough acid causing the issue, not too much. I won't go into it here, but it's probably worth looking up.

Hi I tried the apple cider vinegar a few times but it did not help I think it made it a lot worse unfortunately. I bought the one with the mother
    This all started after about 5 weeks of severe stress and not eating and taking diazepam my doc actually said he thinks diazepam caused it but I've never heard of this . Also I can honestly say my stomach never felt better when on the low carb diet as I only ate healthy fats .

Anyone else suffer this bad ?

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread Information