Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Acid reflux

Re: Acid reflux

Feel so anxious today. This whole acid thing has got me in a state permanently.

Has anyone else suffered this badly from reflux?

Yes...For years I had reflux, ate Tums like candy and did shots of Mylanta to quell the acid. Being woken up with acid burps, pain, burning etc. Even after trying an OTC PPI I suffered. Around 8 years ago, after ending up in the ER after my first heart attack, thinking I was having another, it turned out to be really bad reflux. I was prescribed a prescription PPI (Pantoprazole), and that, along with the FODMAP diet, basically cured it. Yeah, every once in a while, I stray from the diet and pay for it but honestly, its really not an issue anymore. My wife suffers from it too and together we kept a food journal, reduced and eliminated foods that aggravate us. Another benefit is that it helps with IBS too. That includes everything from mild digestive issues to full out squirts.

It also takes time for PPIs to kick in. Usually 2-3 weeks before you start to notice benefits but you really have to take care of your diet.

Hope you feel better soon!

Positive thoughts
    Last edited by Fishmanpa; 29-09-20 at 00:12.
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Hi
    Yes i have followed the fodmap and acid watchers diet for 3 months im also on nexiem which is a ppi . Ive been on it for nearly 5 months but have had to increase the dose .

I have tried all these things and still doing them but still have bad symptoms especially when I wake up in morning my throat is raw and after I eat i have a slight burn in my throat too.

Just totally miserable.

Hi Molly, I’m taking omprezole which is not great. The GI recommended Nexium, which you are taking.

I have my CT scan & Endoscope on Tuesday at two different hospitals in Central London, which is not great.

Can you push for an endoscope? The reason being is the acid can cause damage to the throat and oesophagus. Do you have ear trouble too? That can be caused by acid. I communicated with a great chap on here that really is so knowledgable on the bc subject. Check out the SIBO post on here.

Fisherman is also correct in that the FODMAP really helps. This was advised to me by the GI too.

I hope that you start to feel better or at least get done relief soon.

Take care.

Hi mightypc

Yes im waiting on gastro appointment but everything taking ages because of covid.

Yes I have ear pain sometimes too like my ears are raw and sore inside.

The nexiem honestly aren't that great I feel. Today my throat is burning as soon as I eat but yesterday no burning and I ate the same things.

Im still getting a lot of burping too.

How is your acid symptoms? Do you get ear pain ?

Hi Molly, my reflux is much improved to what is was earlier in the year. I couldn’t lie down as was unable to breathe and swallow. I was constantly burping too. I’m still passing lots of gas, which funny enough is rife when I wake. The pepsin feeling is still there though on occasions. I keep referring to the gent in the SIBO posts as he was a wealth of information. He mentioned that long term reflux can cause major ear issue amongst a lot of other conditions, some quite serious like Barratts. It’s usually ENT consultants that diagnose GERD or LPM as they can see the damage to the areas they concentrate on.

I had my CT this afternoon. I received a call from the hospital and they had room today. Fortunately I have private insurance through work. The hospital was like a hotel and just off Harley Street. I’m quite concerned about the results, should have them in the morning as told they would be processed by the end of today, and have a gut feeling that something will be picked up. I have my endoscope on Tuesday, all being well.

I guess that you have tried Gaviscon? That sort of worked for me back in a March when all this started. I recall sitting in A&E, being sent by the GP, unable to breathe with excruciating chest and back pain. I’ve had a heart attack and I can vouch that was less painful. I thought I had Covid, or should say the DR did, and it was attacking the respiratory system, It was only after speaking with the gent in here that I realised it was silent reflux.

I hope you start to get some improvement soon and do keep up the Symprove, as they do say it’s a 3 month course.

Take care

Hi Mightypc

I hope your results are good news. Its horrible waiting on results.

You had a heart attack! You seem to young.

Yes im hoping these symptoms improve eventually once my anxiety and stress levels come down.

And yes still taking the symaprove hoping it will kick in soon.

Good luck today. Xx

Yeah, no one in my family has any cardiac issues. I use to play a lot of football, squash and gym work. Started piling weight on for no reason, dr wouldn’t listen then bang. Funny I lost 2st after the heart attack without dieting. They put it down to lifestyle, which I disputed. Didn’t smoke and only drank at weekends. My cholesterol was high though. When I had the heart event I had to change drs as the hospital was where I was living in London, but I had kept my old GP in Surrey. Only on Jan this year I was told that I have a rogue gene - Lopoprotein A which would have been the cause and makes me vulnerable for more or stroke.

The private consultant and his PA are fantastic but the PA thinks he’s the Dr. When I requested the scan and scope, he was on the phone to me for 40 mins trying to get me to wait for a few weeks. He had requested the CT for the same day as the scope. I questioned whether the contrast and sedation would be a problem. The lady who phoned from the hospital doing the CT agreed so she got me in yesterday. When I phoned him to say that it had been done, I felt he had the hump a bit. But of a control freak maybe. He’s very slow at getting reports and instructions emailed out too. Apart from that, pleasant fella.

Well at least you know that you have this faulty gene and you can be monitored now.

Life is never without surprises thats for sure.

Let me know how you get on with results. Good luck xx

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread Information