Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Staycations due to pandemic

Re: Staycations due to pandemic

That's wonderful, glassgirlw! You need to start planning your itinerary now! I think you have to visit Edinburgh but not in August when the Fringe Festival is on and prices are sky high for everything..

I've been to Dublin which is a beautiful city but I expect you'd want to visit some remote places as well?

Scass - yeah, it’s a crazy long drive to most places from where I live lol. Takes me 16 hours to get to Florida - 15 to get to the gulf in Texas, and 25 (roughly) to get to the pacific in California. So when we started watching all these documentaries, and the longest “drive” was the 8 hr trip between Dublin and London, I was a little flabbergasted lol. I’m so jealous that so many wonderful places are relatively close by for Europeans!!

Pulisa - from what I’m seeing, September/October might be a good time for Ireland? Not as busy and we like things on the cooler side anyway. Definitely have to go to Dublin, I’m a huge fan of Guinness haha - have to have one fresh from the source. Not to mention Trinity College...and so many other things. I’d love to see the cliffs of Mohr, think that’s in the south (still brushing up on my geography lol). I don’t know as much about Scotland. Just that I’d love to see it!!

one of the things that interests me the most about Europe, and always has, is the history. How old things are. We just don’t have that here. I’m all for seeing and learning about as many ruins as I can...and eating some really, really tasty food!!

so first trip will be 10-14 days of Ireland and Scotland. After we master that, we’ll plan another trip to do the UK, France, and Italy. I wanted to try to do it all in one trip - but I don’t want to rush through all the wonderful things to see and experience. So probably best to break it up into two trips!!

Quote Originally Posted by pulisa View Post
    Thank you, Lencoboy and Scass

One good thing about this lockdown has been forcing people to be less greedy and materialistic and to be grateful for the small things in life. Are holidays a luxury or a necessity?

I remember going to the South Coast with my parents as a child-the only time I really saw my dad as he was a workaholic! Going to a different country wasn't ever discussed in the Dark Ages and I don't feel I missed out. When my children were young we went to Westward Ho! in North Devon-it was hard work with 2 on the autistic spectrum but enjoyable in a special way and I often think back to those times because they were happy, uncomplicated days...Now it's very different of course.

I'd love to be free to go on a staycation now but am very grateful to be going on an overnighter to Weymouth. I'd like to explore Yorkshire too on a road trip..One day I will! There are so many good destinations in the UK so why can't people settle for a holiday here without risking so much by travelling abroad at this dodgy and unpredictable time?
    Exactly. It does seem that especially over the past 25-30 years or so that more than one holiday abroad every year has more or less become a god-given right and a necessity amongst many, rather than an occasional luxury, like when we were much younger (before the 90s).

I also think that it's also very much become a 'keeping up with the Jones's' thing.

The other day my dad told me that (in the other extreme) that he read that some UK camp sites have now started taking bookings as far ahead as 2023!!

Sounds like big changes might be on the way in that case, and IMO, for the better, too.

I am always happier to take holidays in England - never understood the obsession with foreign holidays and all the faff that goes with packing cases, crowded airports, herding onto planes and staying in lousy hotels with sometimes even lousier food. I have lived abroad and sampled most of what Europe has to offer and quite honestly get more enjoyment from watching documentaries on travel and arts from the comfort of my own home. And you cannot get a decent cup of tea anywhere outside England!

Looking forward to finally being allowed to stay in my other place in Worcestershire on the river .... been stuck in London lockdown for all this time and it is beginning to pall.

Sounds lovely, dorabella. I hope you manage to escape London very soon and enjoy soaking up the peace and tranquility of your country retreat. I envy you!

Aghhh, I think honestly that essential travel (doctors conferences, other important things, pharmacy top up courses etc...) should be only allowed. Non essential travel is a no-no in my books. I am happy to go somewhere local this summer. Just to get away for a few days would suit me just fine as long as there's good food too

What an appallingly sexist thing to say, Lencoboy - what on earth does it have to do with the thread, either?

Quote Originally Posted by BlueIris View Post
    What an appallingly sexist thing to say, Lencoboy - what on earth does it have to do with the thread, either?
    Sorry, I wasn't thinking and I shall remove it pronto!!

Personally I think the powers that be made a big mistake allowing people to start having holidays abroad again, which could be one of the factors behind the edging up of CV cases again over the past few weeks.

Now look at all the hassles and inconvenience many people returning from abroad are facing through having to self-isolate for at least 14 days, which is already being met with derision by many of those now returning from mainland Europe, and could have been avoided had they either instead opted for a staycation, or waited until at least next year or the year after to travel abroad when the risks might be lower.

I know I'll probably get shot down in flames yet again for saying this!!

People don't like being told what to do. How on earth will quarantining be enforced? We were told it was ok to travel abroad to most countries but now it's not. I'm cautious and would never have considered any trip abroad during a pandemic but I'm boring. Others would just say to hell with it and book. They would never be satisfied with a holiday in the UK let alone a staycation which officially means that you stay put at home.

I'm fed up with all this nonsense. The UK has become a laughing stock..I don't blame the Government because I think some British people are utter morons and thanks to them good people suffer.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information