Thread: Sensory Symptoms - General Queries

Sensory Symptoms - General Queries

Hi guys,

Hope you're all doing well,

As my first post here, I'd like to ask a few q's regarding sensory symptoms as physical anxiety manifestations.

Roughly 2 months prior I had been concerned over a minor health issue (I won't go into details as it is too long a story).

Symptoms first started with lower and upper back pains and lack of sleep (since resolved). I have had chronic itching and for 3-4 days stinging over body and burning patch on thigh (burning cleared and stings are now non-existent).

I had visited my GP twice and the second GO referred me to neurologist. The neurologist had secondarily confirmed that there are no sinister signs after a neuro exam. She did say you can have a brain scan for peace of mind but it really is not worth the effort, as nothing sinister is at play based on exam and my description of waxing and waning symptoms.

As mentioned the itching has been ongoing for some time (7 weeks) but seems to lessen when I don't think about it or I concentrate on my work from home. It is generalised bodywide, and scrathing relieves the itch.

I have a question regarding Paresthesia, in my case not real numbness and tingling, but it can be described as your skin feeling tight or stretched. I have had this for 4-5 weeks on left arm and just started on upper lip 4 days back. Also worth noting are cold and hot areas (no sweating). Can these symptoms also be attributed to chronic anxiousness?

My main question is, can symptoms persist for weeks until your mind/brain readjusts to normality? Now I will admit even if it sounds silly, that I was worried that this can potentially be MS, however neurologist stated that within timeframe of your symptoms (2 months), you would have had loss of function, and we would be seriously concerned.

I was given the option to take Pregabalin but I politely declined, stating I have a general distaste for taking long term medications and am positive I will return back to normal once calm. I belive in the doctors assessment and have no doubts.

Just to summarise, I have experienced the following symptoms since the end of May to present:

Chest tightness, back pains, palpitations, stinging sensations, burning sensations, temp changes in skin (cold/hot but no sweating and not actually cold or hot to touch), shooting pains bodywide, cramp like aches and skin feeling tight/stretched.

Some symptoms have cleared whilst itching and skin tightness have persisted.

Blood tests all clear and normal as well as two neuro exams

Apologies for a lengthy first post and I would greatly appreciate any feedback as I find it hard to believe chronic periods of stress and anxiety can cause so many physical symptoms.

Re: Sensory Symptoms - General Queries

These symptoms sound like some peripheral neuropathy, which can be made worse by anxiety. PN is often related to autoimmune conditions like Fibromyalgia, and CFS (Chronic Fatigue Syndome) etc. I've had a lot of what you've describes, esp the heat sensations, skin sensations, cramps, on and off for 30 years.

I've just come out of a six week flare where my palms have been hot and burning, they've felt hot but are not red. I've had sore knuckles with it too, which are subsiding. All my tests are clear and it's not RA.

Autoimmune issues actually cause the stress and anxiety, not the other way around. They are random and can flare at any time but stress makes them worse.

1. We did the hard months in lockdown abiding by rules for you to get here.
    2. No one gives a shit if you prefer white towels or hotels with sea views.
    You're in quarantine for fourteen days ...obey the rules.

Thread Information