Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Exercise and anxiety

Re: Exercise and anxiety

Quote Originally Posted by fishman65 View Post
    OK I thought I might return to this thread as my weight is now 16st 7.25lbs. The diet app is still proving useful but I feel the exercise bike is maxed out. The highest setting has become much easier to the point where its become my default, though am doing short sprints on lower setting too. The bike is quite old now, we had it second hand about 10 years ago. Its a BC1510 'Body Sculpture' if that means anything. Any advice on a good exercise bike? Many thanks in advance.

Oh yes, biceps. I'm lifting large plastic bottles of water weighing 12lbs each, 20 times on each arm. Have been looking at dumbbells online. Are they worth it?

Big kudos to the progress

To answer the dumbells question, a wholehearted yes. I would go as far as to suggest that a basic inclining bench and a set of cast metal dumbbells open up the possibility of dozens of different exercises that are difficult to do otherwise. Doesn't have to be expensive, or heavy. Weight training can be approached with exposure in mind. You can do either heavy and short, or light and long (snigger). Either one will give you similar results, although using low weights for high reps means you're 'in pain' for longer

These are a surprisingly good starter set of dumbbells -

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/6016160

And this would be a good starter bench -

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/7923...20bench:1:12:1

Argos seems to be better for this kind of inexpensive kit than anywhere else I've found, but if you progressed on to much heavier weights the first thing I'd do is get a sturdier bench.

In terms of exercise bikes, you might find walking to be just as effective and definitely scaleable. The added bonus of being outside can't hurt either. I've found that good cardio equipment can get very expensive, very fast.

Agreed with Joe. Dumbells are well worth it, as is a decent bench and olympic bar. I've been exercising from home for a couple of years now and it definitely helps the anxiety and is great for the physique.

I can link to my setup but it cost close to 800. Having a sturdy bench was the most important thing to me. It inclines, declines, you can do shoulder and military press on it but I do those standing up anyway. The cheaper benches wobble about and it's no good so I got it from a gym supplier.

Great progress though. You must have put in some work on that bike!

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” - Richard Feynman

☪️️

Yeah I think the cheaper 'wobbly' benches are useable if you're holding less than 20kg per arm. It's not the risk of collapse that's the issue (as that's unlikely), it's the risk of injury as you compensate for movement while holding something heavier.

Thanks guys that's a lot of useful info. I'll definitely look into those dumbbells and bench but not quite yet as we are behind with the rent

The plastic bottle is ok weight-wise (gets my arm aching) but with a plastic strap I can see that breaking and ending up causing myself injury. Do you guys do press ups/sit ups? I want to lose some more weight yet before press ups because I'm lifting more LOL.

I remember years ago a mate of mine was really into weight lifting. He had all the gear so I had a go but couldn't even raise the bar out of its holder?/brackets? But that was a period where all I lifted was pints of beer.

Thanks to you both, yeah the cycling I increased to every day rather than every other. 30 mins minimum, high resistance. Its when the sweat's pouring off me and I'm swearing that I know I'm doing it right. Sticking to the calorie limit too. Exercise does get addictive doesn't it.

Quote Originally Posted by fishman65 View Post
    Thanks guys that's a lot of useful info. I'll definitely look into those dumbbells and bench but not quite yet as we are behind with the rent

The plastic bottle is ok weight-wise (gets my arm aching) but with a plastic strap I can see that breaking and ending up causing myself injury. Do you guys do press ups/sit ups? I want to lose some more weight yet before press ups because I'm lifting more LOL.

I remember years ago a mate of mine was really into weight lifting. He had all the gear so I had a go but couldn't even raise the bar out of its holder?/brackets? But that was a period where all I lifted was pints of beer.

Thanks to you both, yeah the cycling I increased to every day rather than every other. 30 mins minimum, high resistance. Its when the sweat's pouring off me and I'm swearing that I know I'm doing it right. Sticking to the calorie limit too. Exercise does get addictive doesn't it.
    I wouldn't focus on lifting bigger weights to start with. It's actually the joints and tendons that will need strengthening more than the actual muscles, so don't worry about not being able to lift your mates weight!

And yes, push ups are a great idea but you can start by using your knees as the lever point, not your feet. Much easier to do to start with. You could also do some planks on the ground, and some 'pull ups' under a table. It's a good idea to combine both 'push' and 'pull' exercises to keep things balanced. Like this -

I've never seen table pullups but I'm definitely giving these a go!

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” - Richard Feynman

☪️️

Quote Originally Posted by WiredIncorrectly View Post
    I've never seen table pullups but I'm definitely giving these a go!

J, I have some of these at home too and they're fantastic. Not strictly necessary, but also a bit of a bargain for the use you can get out of them. Can do lots of different kinds of floor based pulling exercises, but also dips too.

Sorry, I could do dips on them if I didn't weight 200lbs......

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Quote Originally Posted by ankietyjoe View Post
    J, I have some of these at home too and they're fantastic. Not strictly necessary, but also a bit of a bargain for the use you can get out of them. Can do lots of different kinds of floor based pulling exercises, but also dips too.

Sorry, I could do dips on them if I didn't weight 200lbs......

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Oh these look very good. I didn't know they existed if I'm honest. The only ones I seen were the ones they have at the gym but they're so expensive. These look a decent price. Are they sturdy when doing dips?

Just placed them in basket for next payday so long as they're sturdy these look like a good health investment.

How tall are you. You're weight isn't that bad. I'm about a stone lighter than you but I stopped weighting myself because of OCD reasons. I've been a bit lazy since having that flu. This past week I've been getting active again. It's strange though because I can not tough any weight for 2 weeks, and I can come back to them being able to lift the same weight.

I'm not lifting that much. 60kg on bench press. 15kg curls. 30kg military press. But it keeps me healthy and fit.
    Last edited by WiredIncorrectly; 22-10-20 at 18:40.

☪️️

Quote Originally Posted by WiredIncorrectly View Post
    Oh these look very good. I didn't know they existed if I'm honest. The only ones I seen were the ones they have at the gym but they're so expensive. These look a decent price. Are they sturdy when doing dips?

Just placed them in basket for next payday so long as they're sturdy these look like a good health investment.

How tall are you. You're weight isn't that bad. I'm about a stone lighter than you but I stopped weighting myself because of OCD reasons. I've been a bit lazy since having that flu. This past week I've been getting active again. It's strange though because I can not tough any weight for 2 weeks, and I can come back to them being able to lift the same weight.

I'm lifting that much. 60kg on bench press. 15kg curls. 30kg military press. But it keeps me healthy and fit.
    Solid AF dude, it's steel tubing and could take twice my weight.

I'm only about 5'10", so really a good couple of stone overweight, although I have a genuinely heavy frame. My BMI showed as obese at around 10% body fat (long time ago).

You won't lose any strength in two weeks. That's bro science talking. If anything, your tendons have had a chance to repair and rest fully so you're probably a little stronger if anything.

Quote Originally Posted by ankietyjoe View Post
    Solid AF dude, it's steel tubing and could take twice my weight.

I'm only about 5'10", so really a good couple of stone overweight, although I have a genuinely heavy frame. My BMI showed as obese at around 10% body fat (long time ago).

You won't lose any strength in two weeks. That's bro science talking. If anything, your tendons have had a chance to repair and rest fully so you're probably a little stronger if anything.
    Ah, you're a bit smaller. Smaller people tend to pack on muscle pretty rapidly from what I've noticed. Not sure if there's a science there. My partner is on the small side and she gains weight very quickly when she eats junk. Are you eating junk over there Mr. Joe? I'm guilty of it recently. I've done a fair but of comfort eating.

People in prisons have long rest gaps because it's hard to get gym access. Once a week if you're lucky in the B cat prisons. But there's lifers in there who are very big in size. I always wondered how they managed to gain that size with little gym access, and crap prison food. I wonder if the resting actually has benefits now. One thing is for sure, you don't need to eat healthy to look good.

Talking of which there's a builder on Youtube who does mad challenges like eating cereal for a whole week. Or Doughnuts for a week. Cuts out normal food and replaces it with something crazy. The guy is built like a tank. I'll see if I can find it. Would be interesting to see what his bloods are.

☪️️

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information