Thread: Has anyone had Leukoplakia?

Has anyone had Leukoplakia?

I had these two odd white patches appear on my bottom gums after my last tooth on each side of my mouth. I emailed the doc some pics who said it looks like a type of ulceration and went on to say that if it was a single area that was bleeding, hurting etc he'd feel a little more concerned but gave me some steroids and if it hasn't cleared up then get back to him.

I found it a little weird as it's in the exact same position on both sides. I'm actually wondering if it's to do with chewing food and it's caused an irritation.

I've not read too much on Leukoplakia for obvious reasons but it's the first thing that came into my head as I'm not sure what else can cause a plaque looking area.

Is Leukoplakia usually left to see what happens or do they opt for removal?

Re: Has anyone had Leukoplakia?

Hi,
    it is hard to say without seeing pictures, but it can be so called frictional hyperkeratosis. Place after last tooth is a frequent one to get it. It is sort of callus on gums. Upper teeth, if misaligned a bit, rub on your bottom gums when chewing food and creating this thick white patch. Totally benign. I have one too as long as I remember. You can visit a dentist for a check up, if necessary

That does seem possible actually. I used to grind my gums at the back and when I eat my gums chew it too. I've had steroids which didn't do much so I've actually managed to secure a dental appointment tomorrow without it costing too much. I'll at least post back when I know just incase anyone has similar concerns.

Quote Originally Posted by wubu View Post
    I had these two odd white patches appear on my bottom gums after my last tooth on each side of my mouth. I emailed the doc some pics who said it looks like a type of ulceration and went on to say that if it was a single area that was bleeding, hurting etc he'd feel a little more concerned but gave me some steroids and if it hasn't cleared up then get back to him.

I found it a little weird as it's in the exact same position on both sides. I'm actually wondering if it's to do with chewing food and it's caused an irritation.

I've not read too much on Leukoplakia for obvious reasons but it's the first thing that came into my head as I'm not sure what else can cause a plaque looking area.

Is Leukoplakia usually left to see what happens or do they opt for removal?
    Hi, I've not had Leukoplakia on my gums, but I have had it appear on my tongue and it often re-occurs if I am ill and my immune system is compromised. Dentist told me to use toothpaste that doesn't have any whitening ingredients so, something like sensodyne daily care, and to use Corsodyl mouthwash daily.
    It eventually goes after about 2 weeks. Yours may not be Luekoplakia, but an ulcer, which will obviously look white and sore, because as you said it's on both sides of your mouth.

Been meaning to update this just to say that I saw a dentist and told her about it and there isn't a concern there 👍👌

Thread Information