Thread: Triggering of anxiety/panic attacks

Triggering of anxiety/panic attacks

I'm new here so sorry if this is in the wrong place. So, I've suffered from anxiety most of my life but the worst its been was after I had my daughter. I had severe post natal depression and anxiety. Start of this week I decided to have a few puffs of a relatives ciggarette, forgetting that it actually had weed in it. Now I've never smoked weed before and despite only having afew puffs it made me totally freak out, I was having a full blown panic attack the likes of which I haven't had since I was at my worst. Most of the night was spent like that and the next morning my anxiety was still high. I tried to rationalise it and tell myself its normal after such a bad expwrience to feel this way. The next day I was back to my normal self. But then I started thinking about it all and my anxiety is terrible at the moment. I keep having waves of going hot and cold and I have a constant knott in my stomache. Im so scared I'm going to end up how I was with the post natal depression and can'tvseem to stop myself getting anxious over the fqct that I'm anxious! Logically I know how ridiculous that is but I'm so scared this one stupid incident has triggered my mental health! Please help!

Re: Triggering of anxiety/panic attacks

Hi, the fear after you found out it had a drug in it may have triggered your anxiety. I'm no expert on drugs but I have smoked weed in the past, just once in my adult life and it made me paranoid for 2 days. Never again. I think you should seek the advice of a professional if the anxiety persists, don't worry about telling them you smoked weed, it was an accident remember.

Your anxiety has obviously been triggered by this but I do not think you need to worry about it at this stage, I also know its hard not to worry, I just want to let you know I made that mistake and know how you may be feeling. Hopefully you will get relief from your anxiety soon.

Thank you so much for replying. I'm still anxious but trying to calm myself down. I think I've just spiralled from this one incident. Thabk you again for replying x

Weed is infamous for creating immediate panic. It can stay with you for a while after.

Best thing to do is just keep telling yourself it'll pass. There's no permanent damage done.

Thank you!

Thread Information