Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Breathing issues- does anyone else have this?

Re: Breathing issues- does anyone else have this?

I think having this knowledge is really beneficial and helps you to put things in perspective when experiencing these physical symptoms....although the tempting thing to do is catastrophise and fear the worst!

It's all about normalising anxiety symptoms and seeing them for what they are....but it takes time to believe and accept this.

I can completely relate. I have the same issue and it started around 4/5 months ago. I mean, stepping back from your situation, the timing is interesting isn't it? Global pandemic hits and one of the symptoms of COVID-19 is shortness of breath, and lo and behold, your anxiety manifests as shortness of breath. I think that's what started it with me. I found the whole situation intensely stressful when it became clear that COVID was a major global issue and I had a panic attack in the middle of the night - I woke up, felt like I couldn't breathe, fingers and toes tingling, dizzy, the works... I'd never really had one before and it came from NOWHERE. It took me about two weeks before my breathing returned to normal. I was experiencing very similar symptoms to the ones you describe. Since then, it's been touch and go. I have had weeks where my breathing has been fine, but then something stressful happens and it starts again.

This isn't the first time I've experienced breathlessness as a symptom of anxiety but it isn't pleasant. It can stay with you for quite a while too. For me, it's not just in the acute panic stage. I find that distraction really helps. When I'm not thinking about it, it usually goes away...

I too know how you feel. Every year my anxiety manifest somewhere else in my body. One year in arms. One year in back. Today I feel like a elephant is sitting on my upper chest. Do much going on with covid and life in general. This started last week with allergies. Ir I assume it's a combination of my anxiety and allergies. Hang in there. Anxiety finds someway to manifest in us. Take care.

Hi Camsie i suffered these symptoms for years it's a very popular symptom of anxiety in many forms very common with panic attacks and health anxiety and feels very real you can get over these feelings try not to think about it too much and distract yourself with something you enjoy try to pin point the trigger to why this has happened for example i thought i had lung cancer as dreadful as it is the more i thought about it the more severe my breathing got because you actually believe you have it the mind is a very powerfull tool and will convert these emotions into symptoms and pain that is nothing more than frightening to you thats it just are natural fear response, You have been to the doctors and anything on the lung would show up so trying some breathing exercise as mentioned by other members should help try to relax and pin point what triggered this from starting, In a lot of cases with anxiety getting to the root of the problem leads to you feeling better And the gp is all ways there to help
    Last edited by Dexter James; 13-10-20 at 22:07.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information