Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Weight loss and perimenopause

Weight loss and perimenopause

I have lost about 10lbs in 4 months which is mainly down to cutting out all junk and reducing salt to keep my bp down. I've had 2 complete blood panel tests done in the past 6 months and all ok. Thyroid was checked and a 24hr urine test when my blood pressure went up. All came back ok and blood pressure stablilised. I am premenopausal and have been very anxious the past few months. I have noticed in the past few weeks I am losing more weight. An average of maybe 1lb a week. I'm not trying to lose weight but this is stressing me out and causing more weightloss. People have started to remark on my weight loss which is stressing me more. I'm down to the weight I was pre babies. I've never been really heavy but I struggled to shift weight after 40. Now it's falling off and I never thought that would make me unhappy but it worries me. I know it's not dramatic weight loss and most of it is down to diet change but I'd love to know if others have experienced similar.

Re: Weight loss and perimenopause

The odd thing is that I too have lost weight without trying in what I believe is the final part of peri. (I am heading to 52 and in major erratic stages). I've never been really large, but thats only because I have always engaged in a fight to keep my weight within my BMI throughout adulthood, and have calorie counted many many times to lose weight. I have always put on weight easily and quickly, so the change in the last few years feels very odd and yes - at times it has worried me. I seem to be able to eat anything and everything without adding weight, which would have caused weight gain in the past, and if I eat 'normally' I lose a lb here and there without even trying. If stress and anxiety get added to the situation then there have been weeks when I've lost quite a few lbs. I think that the main time people gain weight is into menopause official, and I've heard of others saying that they've lost weight in peri/find it hard to keep weight on. Though it does seem more usual to gain weight from what I've read on other forums. I don't know the biology behind the cause, but mine has happened for so long now that it can't be anything other than metabolic peri changes - I just wanted to write to you as another person in a similar situation and maybe look upon it as an excuse to indulge for a while - I do

Thank you Carys, you are always do thoughtful in your replies. It is reassuring to know I'm not alone. I know realistically this loss is more likely a drastic change in diet but when I get on the scales and see a lb loss overnight it's a bit scary. I don't have a great appetite although it hasn't diminished thankfully but I think that's just my nervous anxious tummy. Thank you for your reply x

I'd say try and avoid weighing yourself too often because it can turn into an obsession and just makes things worse..Once a week is fine..so they say!

I'm a bit older than you but have also lost weight recently so am having tests this week. I'm sure it's all down to dealing with prolonged stress for me though. I'm thin anyway so it's not great when it's Summer and you feel you have to cover up!!

I think anxiety makes it hard for some of us to keep weight on x

Thank you Pulisa, I hope you get good results. The combo for me of quarantine, being a carer and being perimenopausal, I believe have increased my anxiety a lot. But I know everyone has a lot going on and anxiety is high generally. I'm working on it and believe I will overcome it. Thanks for your support.

Do you think your hunger is reduced because of anxiety? A loss of appetite caused by the stresses? Is there anything OTC you think you could take for it? Maybe your pharmacist can help.

I was happy to read there that you are confident of overcoming the anxiety, that's hope right there and determination to fight the dreaded anxiety.

Thankyou Rainbow girl. Yes I do believe loss of appetite (although appetite is increasing again) is all stress related. I've been meditating and reading a lot. I am determined to be proactive about my anxiety and trying to avoid medication. I've taken a few otc things for anxiety but none have been very effective.

No problem, I responded because anxiety used to kill my appetite too, if you're wishing to avoid medication I think you should give drinking ginger tea a try if you can get out and buy some, it helps with an upset tummy and helps nausea.Try eating dry crackers or dry toast too, hope you feel better soon. But if you do want to try something in the future OTC, motillium might help.

Quote Originally Posted by Pearly queen View Post
    Thank you Pulisa, I hope you get good results. The combo for me of quarantine, being a carer and being perimenopausal, I believe have increased my anxiety a lot. But I know everyone has a lot going on and anxiety is high generally. I'm working on it and believe I will overcome it. Thanks for your support.
    I'm a carer too and I think that the combination and accumulation of stressors plays havoc with our systems which are already a bit precarious to begin with! I wish you well and reckon you are well on the way to managing your anxiety successfully.

Thank you Rainbowgirl and Pulisa.
    Ah Pulisa then you as a carer know how it plays on our anxieties. I have it easier than many but it's still takes its toll. For me it's worry about the future but I am 100% determined it's not going to get the better of me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information