My question is weather these two meds can be taken together.
I've been on TCAs for upwards of nearly 20 years, for GAD and IBS.They worked well for many years, but eventually, I asked for a change as the chronic side effects became too much to deal with. Namely bad constipation and severe dry mouth, both of which have needed medical treatment.
Two years ago changed to Trazodone200mg
Which were much better for me. Fast forward to Feb last year, when after a severe bout of food poisoning, resulting 6 weeks off work and antibiotics, the IBS returned, I now know this is termed post Infective IBS and can.last for months after the event. 8 months later still suffering and now highly anxious all the time, Gp took me off Traz and switches me to low dose amytriptyline 10mg This really helped IBS and lessened the anxiety somewhat, but I found I need to increase the dose gradually over time to help with the anxiety. I'm now at 40mg, but anxiety is bad again. Very reluctant to Increase the dose, as the side effects of the amytriptyline are getting hard to tolerate.
GP has suggested Venlafaxine, which I'm keen to try as a close family member has had some success with this. I've offered to reduce the amytriptyline, but not give it up altogether, as it helps so well with the IBS, but I really do need something to help with the anxiety as its ruling my life. Has anyone had any success on this combo. Sorry for such a long post thanks for reading.