Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 21

Thread: Had your parents used to 'lie' to you in order to make you behave as children?

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Posts
    1,307

    Re: Had your parents used to 'lie' to you in order to make you behave as children?

    Quote Originally Posted by pulisa View Post
    I've got to be so careful with what I say to my children in view of their ASD. The fear factor has the potential to do long term damage. I always remember when a playground assistant told my daughter she would cut her tongue off with scissors if she didn't stop talking...She's never forgotten that! This was at a special school too!
    That was a totally stupid and irresponsible thing for the playground assistant at your daughter's school to say to her, even if it was in jest. Staff who work in schools and the like for people with disabilities should ultimately have far more sense, and if I was the school's headteacher I would woe betide that idiot person!!

    Just out of interest, how long ago did that particular incident occur (I am not asking your daughter's age)?

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    10,929

    Re: Had your parents used to 'lie' to you in order to make you behave as children?

    Probably about 20 years ago..I know the person in question was severely reprimanded because I reported her to the head teacher. It was a school for autistic children and generally the staff were very knowledgeable about what you don't say..

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Posts
    1,307

    Re: Had your parents used to 'lie' to you in order to make you behave as children?

    Quote Originally Posted by pulisa View Post
    Probably about 20 years ago..I know the person in question was severely reprimanded because I reported her to the head teacher. It was a school for autistic children and generally the staff were very knowledgeable about what you don't say..
    That person must have been totally unsuitable for the job in an otherwise excellent school (by the sound of it), especially as she made inappropriate remarks like that, which had profound effects on your daughter for many years after.

    At least the headteacher quite rightly gave that idiot staff member an ear-bending for her misdemeanour, though she should have been sacked IMO!!

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Posts
    1,307

    Re: Had your parents used to 'lie' to you in order to make you behave as children?

    Quote Originally Posted by MRS STRESS ED View Post
    here's another one Lencoboy mum told me never to swallow my chewing gum because it would wrap around my heart 🤯 and die I wonder why l have extreme anxiety

    l don't think my mum was thinking she was a stress head like me

    best wishes xx
    That's probably nothing more than a mythical 'old wives' tale'. Surely if chewing gum actually proved fatal if swallowed, it would have been banned many moons ago. And most certainly for sale to and for consumption by children.

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    2,992

    Re: Had your parents used to 'lie' to you in order to make you behave as children?

    Here a lot of us tell kids about La Llorona (your-oh-nuh). It's the myth of a wailing woman, who killed herself and her two children to get revenge on the man who raped her and forced her to be his wife or mistress. Supposedly she was an Aztec woman and the man who forced her to be his mistress ife was a Spaniard, and this happened in 17th century Mexico. Anyway, now she wanders cities looking for children to steal because she regrets killing her own children.

    So when kids won't stop crying and go to bed, many parents say, "Be quiet or La Llorona will get you." LOL It also is a reason not to sneak out of your room and stay up late!
    __________________
    I'm still a work in progress.
    Currently working on: World Domination

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    2,271

    Re: Had your parents used to 'lie' to you in order to make you behave as children?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lencoboy View Post
    That's probably nothing more than a mythical 'old wives' tale'. Surely if chewing gum actually proved fatal if swallowed, it would have been banned many moons ago. And most certainly for sale to and for consumption by children.
    oh yeah l agree with you just back then as a kid I wouldn't of known she was making it up 😁

    best wishes xx

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    1,309

    Re: Had your parents used to 'lie' to you in order to make you behave as children?

    I just recently saw someone post something about how she just realized that her parents had always been lying to her about it being illegal to turn the dome light on in the car while driving. I have to google this and, in fact, it's not illegal in any states in the US. But, my parents 100% told us this as kids!

    I don't remember any serious ones, but I remember a few years ago my mom telling my nephew the police would come if he didn't listen and I got so angry with her! I have a 6 year old and I never lie to her except like others said - Santa, etc... But, even with that I highly limit the extent of the lying. We don't have any wild stories or complex myths. When she asks me questions about Santa my answer is always - No one knows how it works! And I don't tell her Santa won't come if she's bad. We don't do the Elf on the Shelf either because it feels too much like a carefully crafted deception designed to manipulate kids into behaving.

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Posts
    1,307

    Re: Had your parents used to 'lie' to you in order to make you behave as children?

    Quote Originally Posted by ErinKC View Post
    I just recently saw someone post something about how she just realized that her parents had always been lying to her about it being illegal to turn the dome light on in the car while driving. I have to google this and, in fact, it's not illegal in any states in the US. But, my parents 100% told us this as kids!

    I don't remember any serious ones, but I remember a few years ago my mom telling my nephew the police would come if he didn't listen and I got so angry with her! I have a 6 year old and I never lie to her except like others said - Santa, etc... But, even with that I highly limit the extent of the lying. We don't have any wild stories or complex myths. When she asks me questions about Santa my answer is always - No one knows how it works! And I don't tell her Santa won't come if she's bad. We don't do the Elf on the Shelf either because it feels too much like a carefully crafted deception designed to manipulate kids into behaving.
    I think parents warning little kids about police intervention for extremely trivial misdemeanours (like my mom did with me over the standing on the sofa incident) can be very damaging, not only emotionally for the kids themselves, but it is an insult to police officers, whom the kids might need help from one day if they happen to become victims of crime, and portraying them as 'bogeymen' is likely to stifle relations between the police and children even further, especially when the children concerned become teenagers.

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    24,611

    Re: Had your parents used to 'lie' to you in order to make you behave as children?

    Quote Originally Posted by ankietyjoe View Post
    Well yes, of course parents lie. Santa Clause, for example.
    __________________
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    For free Mindfulness resources, please see this thread I have created to compile many sources together http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=168689

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    , , United Kingdom.
    Posts
    325

    Re: Had your parents used to 'lie' to you in order to make you behave as children?

    My mum never lied - the threat and the promise of disciplinary were real enough ... but I think in the 1960s and 1970s parents were generally allowed to discipline their kids in a proper way without the threat of social services ...

    Common phrase that you used to hear from mums in the West Midlands at that time when their kids were playing up and 'making a show' in public was "If you don't stop whining I'll give you something to cry for"

    Certainly worked for me and never did me any harm.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Adult children of parents with paranoid schizophrenia
    By randomforeigner in forum Symptoms
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-11-16, 19:53
  2. Any depressed parents Really struggling with their children?
    By KeeKee in forum Depression from Panic/Anxiety
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 23-01-16, 13:22
  3. how does HA actually make you feel/behave?
    By rubynoodles in forum Health Anxiety
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 31-01-11, 21:58
  4. Adult children of alcoholic parents
    By happyone in forum Depression from Panic/Anxiety
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 01-04-07, 19:21
  5. Dominant Parents make anxiety children
    By mirry in forum Panic / Panic Attacks
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 20-01-07, 14:38

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •