Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Worries and Fears About Sepsis

Worries and Fears About Sepsis

I've been seeing a lot about Sepsis on the TV recently, in due to the virus, and its one of those things that I get really scared about, and really causes my anxiety to get worse, fearing about it. The doctor literally said, ''he was find that day, then went to bed, and woke suddenly unable to breathe''. Out of nowhere. That stuff frightens me so much.

I'm 32 woman, I get bouts of IBS, and it scares me that I may get an infection from that even that could lead to Sepsis. I'm Hypothyroid too, so not sure if that makes me immune system slower too, this stuff really causes me so much distress thinking about and worrying about. Even my stone and a half overweight causes me stress because of the health risks. Honestly.

I'm not sure, as I don't know much about Sepsis, I only hear that it can happen out of nowhere, and works rapidly, and is life threatening, which is causing me so much anxiety at the moment thinking about and worrying about and hearing doctors explain it like that makes it worse. I don't know how to feel at the moment, other than very worried and stressed about it.

I worry about any infection causing Sepsis and it being so frightening.

And my temperature today was 98.4-98.6. Which is higher than normal for me, which is usually between 96.9-98.0, so not sure if I should be really worried about that, or if its just the humidity.
    Last edited by mischamoonlight; 05-08-20 at 01:28.

Worries and Fears About Sepsis

Mischa,
    I hope it helped to write that down? Read it back a few times and see if you can see the signs that you’re basically adding 2+2 and reaching 67000.
    Also, I find it helps if I just don’t watch anything medical, try that maybe?

Ps. Nice to see you anyway. I hope your family are well x

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: Worries and Fears About Sepsis

Quote Originally Posted by mischamoonlight View Post
    I'm not sure, as I don't know much about Sepsis, I only hear that it can happen out of nowhere, and works rapidly, and is life threatening, which is causing me so much anxiety at the moment thinking about and worrying about and hearing doctors explain it like that makes it worse. I don't know how to feel at the moment, other than very worried and stressed about it.
    It's very rare, and I know the effect it has on the human body because I watched my wife die from it. When she died, she had a temperature of 111 and was under a blanket of circulating iced water in intensive care. Ten years ago insufficient attention was paid to it, now they do.

Hi @Scass Sometimes it does help to write it down, so I can look back on my thoughts at that time, honestly. It's probably not helping that the bungalow we live in is heavily insulated and the temperature is 25 Celsius and above the last couple weeks, so the house is very humid and warm and is probably contributing to feeling 'uneasy'.

Nice to hear from you too Scass, hope life is being kind to you and your family, worlds kinda crazy at the moment, so this can be a nice quiet corner of the world to know you don't feel alone.

I'm not too bad, family are good, making sure my parents are cared for well, mum is on her pain medications and seems to be helping, so everyone is doing okay

Hi @Pamplemousse I'm so sorry to hear about your wife, hope I didn't sound insensitive in anyway. I didn't know it was rare, the way they talk about it, makes it seem very differently, especially on TV and such, but thank you for telling me this. It is a positive that they are more aware of these things now, than they were 10 years ago. I often struggle to structure my thoughts logically when I get very worried about something.

Sending my best, Mischa x

You need to stop watching stuff like this on TV tbh. It serves no purpose whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by mischamoonlight View Post
    Hi @Pamplemousse I'm so sorry to hear about your wife, hope I didn't sound insensitive in anyway. I didn't know it was rare, the way they talk about it, makes it seem very differently, especially on TV and such, but thank you for telling me this. It is a positive that they are more aware of these things now, than they were 10 years ago. I often struggle to structure my thoughts logically when I get very worried about something.

Sending my best, Mischa x
    No problem, Mischa . I know how it is only too well with these triggers. I found myself in A&E on Friday night and the Sepsis posters were everywhere, a grim reminder of what can happen. It's a public awareness thing - my old GP said that public awareness campaigns were great but they invariably brought the "worried well" to his door, not the target audience!

Quote Originally Posted by ankietyjoe View Post
    You need to stop watching stuff like this on TV tbh. It serves no purpose whatsoever.
    It's that morbid fascination with watching TV programmes which are a guaranteed health trigger though..followed by religious monitoring of temperature/heartbeat etc The more frightening, the more it's really hard to resist..?

Quote Originally Posted by Pamplemousse View Post
    It's very rare, and I know the effect it has on the human body because I watched my wife die from it. When she died, she had a temperature of 111 and was under a blanket of circulating iced water in intensive care. Ten years ago insufficient attention was paid to it, now they do.
    I’m so sorry to read this Pamplemousse. I know you only wrote it to give an insight, but I didn’t know and wanted to say sorry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, it's so horrible, and everything going on at the moment, I'm checking and checking my temperature, so any rise causes me panic as well. I did it just a short while ago and it was 37.1, which completely freaked me out and caused me to feel panicky once again cause its never that high for me. It wasn't that high this morning. I've also been getting sharp shooting pains in the back of my head since this morning, so that's triggered me as well, so been feeling very tense. I have a terribly habit of fixating on something, especially health things, and becomes a focus.

Hope your A&E wasn't too serious and your better now though! I understand about the posters around everywhere, makes it really hard to not be exposed in some way or another. I just get scared of even getting a virus and thinking it will escalate into something deadly, and being hyper focused on my temperature all the time has me exhausted too and more scared than anything.

But thanks again, hope all is well with you, Mischa x

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information