Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Can anxiety make you lose weight?

Can anxiety make you lose weight?

Hi all,
    I’m pretty concerned today as since the middle of March when lockdown started, I’ve lost nearly a stone (14 pounds) in weight. I realise that if I was dieting 14 pounds over 5 months isn’t too bad but I’m concerned as I’m not trying to lose weight. I did lose quite a bit of weight early on as I had coronavirus and no sense of smell or taste and wasn’t really eating that much. I’ve since been eating more but drinking less alcohol than when I was working and probably eating smaller meals so maybe I’ve explained it but just wondered whether anyone else has had this happen with anxiety. My health anxiety has been through the roof at various times during this. I know a GP some years back said you can lose weight due to anxiety as your body is working extra hard all the time.
    Enough rambling,
    Thanks all and keep well.
    Nighttime Pacer

Re: Can anxiety make you lose weight?

Can anxiety (Stress) make you lose weight?

Absolutely! No "what ifs" or "yeah buts"...

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Thanks for that Fishmanpa, I’m starting to work with some CBT to help give me some tools to relax. Also I haven’t been eating as many calories as I used to so it’s easy to see why I’ve lost weight I guess. I need to stop assuming it’s some other health issue and just try relaxation techniques and eat more sensibly at regular intervals and I’m guessing the weight should come back on.

Quote Originally Posted by Nighttime pacer View Post
    Thanks for that Fishmanpa, I’m starting to work with some CBT to help give me some tools to relax. Also I haven’t been eating as many calories as I used to so it’s easy to see why I’ve lost weight I guess. I need to stop assuming it’s some other health issue and just try relaxation techniques and eat more sensibly at regular intervals and I’m guessing the weight should come back on.
    Great reply! You got this!

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Yes definitely, I lost one and a half stone due to anxiety in a couple of months. Had tests which were all normal.

Keep a food diary like MyFitnessPal - a couple of weeks ago when I was at the height of my panic attacks I was down 5ibs in two weeks; reason - 7000 calories under weekly target so 14000 in total almost the same as not eating at all for 7 days!

Absolutely, positively it can. A couple of years ago I went down a particular rabbit hole of anxiety and dropped a stone in a month and every time someone said "you've lost weight" I nearly screamed "It's because I'm dying from cancer!!"

I wasn't, of course. I wasn't eating much because of my anxiety and my anxiety was making it worse.

I don't recommend it as a diet plan.

I lost nearly 4 stone over 6 months a few years back. Reason: Anxiety. I still go through phases every now and again when I’ll drop a few pounds, just coming out of one now but I have to work to keep a stable weight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

But I have promises to keep,

And miles to go before I sleep. - Robert Frost

You're pretty much explained it. You had CV AND you are eating less AND you're drinking less.

When I get mega stressed and anxiety kicks in the weight drops off me. Last year I lost 30lbs in a month.

Hi all, Thanks so much for your messages. It’s so reassuring to hear all your similar stories.
    Keep well everyone

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information