Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Can anxiety make you lose weight?

Re: Can anxiety make you lose weight?

Hi all,
    I’m still really worried about this as for the last couple of days I’ve had slight stomach pains and a little bit more belching than usual. The trouble is straight away my mind goes to stomach cancer even though I know it’s rare at 46. I also guess that anxiety can also cause these symptoms. I have been on a low dose of omeprazole for years due to slight excess stomach acid but recently haven’t been taking it as often. I’ll go back to a regular dose. I will consult my gastroenterologist if it continues but at the moment I’m scared of going into a hospital for tests, even blood tests due to risks of Coronavirus.
    Does anyone have any ideas?
    Thanks,
    Nighttime Pacer

Quote Originally Posted by Nighttime pacer View Post
    I have been on a low dose of omeprazole for years due to slight excess stomach acid but recently haven’t been taking it as often.
    ^ Cause and effect right there, give it a while back on the omeprazole as it takes a little while to be really effective. Honestly just sounds like run of the mil indigestion though, which I definitely get more when I’m more anxious but it’s super common without being anxious.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

But I have promises to keep,

And miles to go before I sleep. - Robert Frost

Thanks for that Midnight-mouse, I guess I need to try and chill out and get as much sleep as I can and try and meditate and exercise and do all the things which help anxiety and stop obsessing about this as that’s certain not to help.

Yep, and you put it back on straight afterwards

1. We did the hard months in lockdown abiding by rules for you to get here.
    2. No one gives a shit if you prefer white towels or hotels with sea views.
    You're in quarantine for fourteen days ...obey the rules.

I lost a stone and a half in two weeks when my anxiety peaked I was terrified. However it took me to my lowest adult weight and I have continued to eat healthy and maintain a steady weight loss alongside meds. Though sometimes I get crazy chocolate cravings but I allow exercise and other healthy foods to. Counteract that and keep in control. Prior to all this I used to binge eat and purge so anxiety can affect eating habits in so many ways and weight. Equally it can decrease your appetite and then if not eating regular meals the anxiety worsens. Look after yourselves guys we are all in this together

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi all,
    I’m still really worried about this. I spoke to a GP at my local surgery she said it’s probably anxiety. She also said she is aware of situations where people have lost weight due to coronavirus and it has taken quite a while to stabilise.
    She said to make sure she’d send for blood tests. Of course I’m now worried that she thinks I’ve got cancer or something equally scary.
    Sorry for posting again.
    Nighttime Pacer

She will be sending you for a blood test just to reassure you by the sounds of it. I currently have been suffering from lack of appetite due to anxiety over 2 weeks and have lost 2 stone. It is very very possible. And every time I have been anxious to a high level I lose weight, you can end up putting it back on if you don't eat correctly though.

Try not to worry about it, if your doctor thought it was cancer they'd be doing alot more tests than just a blood check.

Quote Originally Posted by Nighttime pacer View Post
    I know a GP some years back said you can lose weight due to anxiety as your body is working extra hard all the time.
    GP is correct. I lost 2 stone on the nervous breakdown diet.

My body was constantly in SNS mode (fight or flight) where it is on constant threat alert. My heart was racing all the time, and I couldn't eat because you you don't tend to feel hungry when you are scared shitless. My heart rate was 145 lying down at one point, so it was like running for the bus but without actually moving. In your case, you had coronavirus earlier this year, and it will take time to regain that weight and get back to how you were. As with any virus, you can be living with the after effects for months afterwards...

Most definitely can lose weight due to anxiety! Over exam periods or stretches of HA I have lost up to 10kg in a month

Yes you can. I've eaten normally and lost weight so seeing as I'm "old" have been put through a whole load of tests including a body CT scan. Nothing sinister has been found and it's been put down to "anxiety" by the hospital. Hope this helps?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information