Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Can anxiety make you lose weight?

Re: Can anxiety make you lose weight?

Not a sufferer but I can attest that stress and anxiety can and does reduce appetite and thus caloric intake. When my wife was in the hospital for three+ months, I lost close to 20 pounds.

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Hi all,
    I’m still worried about this but have a blood test booked for a week’s time. At the suggestion of my doctor I’ve been weighing myself as soon as I get up and with an empty bladder at the suggestion of my doctor. On Thursday it was 72.1 kg today it was 71.9kg. I’m guessing that’s not enough of a difference to worry about at least I hope not. My biggest problem is I keep assuming it’ll be cancer.
    I’m hoping with relaxation techniques and losing myself in other activities and planning work for the future I will relax and the weight will stabilise. I haven’t had any income since March and probably won’t have until next March. I’m living off savings which is doable but I’m sure bad for anxiety levels too.
    Any thoughts anyone?
    Nighttime Pacer

Thanks Aleman, NoraB, Jamie123 & Pulisa,
    I’m just annoyed that I can’t stop worrying about this today and keep wondering if I’ve got symptoms of stomach problems. I also seem to be not getting enough sleep and even though I’m eating a lot of calories or trying to it’s mainly not a very healthy diet. I think I need to try and limit my sugar intake and regularly eat 3 proper meals a day. The thing is in a normal situation I’d love to have got down to the weight I am but I’m so scared that at the moment it must be due to illness. I feel like they’re going to find something really bad on the blood tests. I hope it’s unlikely though.
    I think the stress of Coronavirus has just pushed me to a place where I can’t cope at the moment.
    Thanks all for reading and commenting. This Forum is an absolute life saver at times.
    Nighttime Pacer

Hi all,
    I just can’t stop obsessing about this at the moment. I’ve been belching quite a bit and remember reading that can be a sign of stomach cancer.
    I realise it can also be a sign of a lot of things but of course my mind assumes the worst. I’ve also been feeling a little bit spaced out but think that’s probably the anxiety too.
    Sorry that I keep posting I just can’t relax at the moment.
    Nighttime pacer

Don't know what can be said other than what's already been said

Hope you feel better soon!

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Nighttime pacer View Post
    Hi all,
    I just can’t stop obsessing about this at the moment. I’ve been belching quite a bit and remember reading that can be a sign of stomach cancer.
    I realise it can also be a sign of a lot of things but of course my mind assumes the worst. I’ve also been feeling a little bit spaced out but think that’s probably the anxiety too.
    Sorry that I keep posting I just can’t relax at the moment.
    Nighttime pacer
    I once had a panic attack because I couldn't burp. I also panicked because I hadn't farted for what felt like days (was actually hours) Hubs came into the bedroom and found me parting my bum cheeks trying to coax one out.

Well I can laugh about it now.....

Hey all,
    I know it’s all just my anxiety and I really need to chill out. I’ve decided not to wallow in it and be more proactive by eating better and taking more exercise and trying relaxation techniques. I’ll go for the blood test and whatever happens, happens. I can’t live in fear forever.

Hi all,
    I feel like I’m just hanging on till the blood test on Tuesday. The trouble is I’m not sure if I’m belching more than usual or just noticing it more. I spoke to a GP at my practice and he said anxiety can make you lose weight as your metabolic rate increases due to the anxiety. I just can’t stop thinking the worst which I know is what the anxiety wants me to do.
    Life is tough at the moment.

Hope the blood test goes well today - I know from experience that the waiting can be harder than the investigation; Also if you look at my thread from June/July you can see the panic my HA created and the symptoms it manifested, obviously not saying this is the same for you but I can personally vouch that the mind is a powerful thing.

Also don't get afraid if the results don't come back quickly it took 5 weeks for me to get my scan results.

Quote Originally Posted by NoraB View Post
    I once had a panic attack because I couldn't burp. I also panicked because I hadn't farted for what felt like days (was actually hours) Hubs came into the bedroom and found me parting my bum cheeks trying to coax one out.

Well I can laugh about it now.....
    I can relate to the fart with all the medications I have been on the past few weeks I am panicking I might shart and it terrifies me.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information