Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Are nocturnal panic attacks a thing?

Re: Are nocturnal panic attacks a thing?

Quote Originally Posted by WiredIncorrectly View Post

While I'm frozen still I will be full of impending doom.
    Yes, I get this. It's like a feeling that of being outside of myself but not in an OBE way. It's a sensation. Hard to describe, but it feels like part of me has separated from my body, but I am awake, and something horrific is about to happen - despite a feeling of 'calmness'. It's almost 'too calm' - like in horror movies, you know? Then the symptoms kick in....
    I prefer to wake up with my heart going nuts tbh - I can deal with that.

I have had sleep paralysis - once. TERRIFYING. Give me a million panic attacks over that brain-shittery!

Quote Originally Posted by NoraB View Post
    Yes, I get this. It's like a feeling that of being outside of myself but not in an OBE way. It's a sensation. Hard to describe, but it feels like part of me has separated from my body, but I am awake, and something horrific is about to happen - despite a feeling of 'calmness'. It's almost 'too calm' - like in horror movies, you know? Then the symptoms kick in....
    I prefer to wake up with my heart going nuts tbh - I can deal with that.

I have had sleep paralysis - once. TERRIFYING. Give me a million panic attacks over that brain-shittery!
    They sound very similar to what I have. The feeling of being outside your body, but being in it, is kinda like you exist in an emptiness. I get it, it's really hard to describe in words. Pure terror is all I can say.

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” - Richard Feynman

☪️️

Wanted to update this. I fell asleep this morning at about 6am. I awoke in the state I explained in the other response. Haven't had one of these in a while, but I know it's because at the moment I am not taking one of my medications. Absolutely frighting though and took me 30 mins to calm down.

I've not long woke up, my partner woke me up saying I'm speaking outloud and she thought I was joking. I said "It's your own fault what are you even crying for?". In my dream I was telling my nephew off (oddly one I just mentioned in other post Nora .. the wee one). He punched his sister so I sent him to his bed to think about what he just did and he started crying in my dream. No idea why or how it came out loud though.

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” - Richard Feynman

☪️️

Wanted to update this. I fell asleep this morning at about 6am. I awoke in the state I explained in the other response. Haven't had one of these in a while, but I know it's because at the moment I am not taking one of my medications. Absolutely frighting though and took me 30 mins to calm down.
    Do you mean you went back to sleep at 6am?

Because it's no good going back to sleep at this time when your body is ramping up the cortisol - you are more likely to have vivid (and anxious) dreams and wake up with a panic attack. Your body is preparing to wake up - not fall back to sleep.

I've not long woke up, my partner woke me up saying I'm speaking outloud and she thought I was joking. I said "It's your own fault what are you even crying for?". In my dream I was telling my nephew off (oddly one I just mentioned in other post Nora .. the wee one). He punched his sister so I sent him to his bed to think about what he just did and he started crying in my dream. No idea why or how it came out loud though.
    My husband and son both talk in their sleep. Hilariously, one of Hub's sleep-liners was, 'What have you been ordering now?'.

Well I do use Amazon a lot...

Do you mean you went back to sleep at 6am?

Because it's no good going back to sleep at this time when your body is ramping up the cortisol - you are more likely to have vivid (and anxious) dreams and wake up with a panic attack. Your body is preparing to wake up - not fall back to sleep.
    My husband and son both talk in their sleep. Hilariously, one of Hub's sleep-liners was, 'What have you been ordering now?'.
    Well I do use Amazon a lot...
    Nooo. I don't fall back to sleep at 6am. I was going to bed at 6am. I've been having constant nocturnal panic attacks the past couple of days. Had 3 last night that I counted. I couldn't sleep until 4am, woke up hour later in an actual panic attack. Heartrate was so fast that I had to sit up and watch something for 10 minutes and tell myself "You're fine". But all 3 times drenched in sweat. Had one about 7am and another at 9am. Then woke up at 11am and couldn't sleep.

4 days with no diazepam that's why. They'll be available at my pharmacy Thursday :(

☪️️

Yes I get them today! I called my doctor I told her I have ran out sooner than expected. I told her I've been dealing with flu since last Monday and it's made me more anxious that I have COVID. Which is true. My anxiety has been sky high the past 2 weeks in general since the numbers started rising. She said it is understandable and she'll put more through for today.

☪️️

Nooo. I don't fall back to sleep at 6am. I was going to bed at 6am. I've been having constant nocturnal panic attacks the past couple of days. Had 3 last night that I counted. I couldn't sleep until 4am, woke up hour later in an actual panic attack. Heartrate was so fast that I had to sit up and watch something for 10 minutes and tell myself "You're fine". But all 3 times drenched in sweat. Had one about 7am and another at 9am. Then woke up at 11am and couldn't sleep.

4 days with no diazepam that's why. They'll be available at my pharmacy Thursday :(
    Sorry, I'm getting confused here. So, you've been taking diazepam and you ran out?

Sorry, I'm getting confused here. So, you've been taking diazepam and you ran out?
    I have noctoral panic attacks and have done since my first University exams. The medication I take (Diazepam) stops me having them. When I don't have my medication I am prone to them. I got my medications yesterday and didn't have a nocturnal attack last night.

Sorry for the confusion he he.

☪️️

I have noctoral panic attacks and have done since my first University exams. The medication I take (Diazepam) stops me having them. When I don't have my medication I am prone to them. I got my medications yesterday and didn't have a nocturnal attack last night.

Sorry for the confusion he he.
    How long have you been on the Diazepam? It's short-term drug isn't it? Also, suddenly stopping this medication will absolutely make your symptoms worse, and then some!

All but my first PAs are during the night. Just trying to relax today after my longest episode last night. It's due to anxiety/ stress - mainly covid19 threat (hard to avoid) and from waking with heat and elevated heart rate. I'm so exhausted by this.
    During my PA I'm frozen to one spot in bed usually, while shaking. Couldn't get up if I tried.
    How does it affect everyone else?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information