Thread: Anxiety about changing jobs to new employer

Anxiety about changing jobs to new employer

I have been unhappy with my current job for over a year and had been really just staying because I knew that in several years another nurse would be retiring and her job was one that I was interested in.. I work in healthcare and COVID 19 has exacerbated the problems at work. I twas bad enough that I couldn't wait the 2 years for her job to open. I began searching for a new job a while back. I had applied for a county job a couple months ago. After that point the co-worker decided to retire immediately because our working conditions have become so bad- she had 29 years in and had planned to make it 30 but stated that she didn't have to work and didn't need this in her life so she left. Well that meant her job was open. Of course, it is at that point that I get a call to interview for the county job. I went ahead and went to the interview and have been offered the job. It is $1.60 an hour raise but with travel to work it is basically a lateral move. It is not about the money. It is about quality of life.

Anyway, her job comes open and they give it to me. BUT- I am told they are restructuring it and making it a part of my old job. The new job will be my priority but I will be doing my old job also in between. So more work no raise and still doing the old job that I hated. There have been times when the nurse that just retired was off for vacation and I had to do exactly that and it was crazy busy and hell to be honest. Once I even cried because of the frustration and stress of doing both jobs had overwhelmed me (last december- so before covid). I have been in healthcare for 20+ years and that is the first time I have ever cried from work frustrations with the job.

Anyway, I got the new job offer and it is an amazing job and the kind of job I thought I was applying for when I took this current job. I am very excited about what I will be doing but here is where my anxiety kicks in-
    • My last several jobs I have had my own office. Easy to manage my anxiety. If I had an attack I could manage. I have no idea if I have my own office or share an office at my new job.
    • plane old new job anxiety
    • since the one nurse retired her replacement has been hired but does not start until about the same time that would be my last day so it is just an awful time to be leaving. It puts my current job in a real bind and basically short 2 nurses. We all work m-f 8-5. Its a clinic so it is not like they will have to cover extra shifts. Also they can adjust the schedule to accommodate.
    • I really want this new job so bad and I already accepted it (yesterday) but now I feel so guilty and panicky over the timing of leaving.
    • I am giving a 3 week notice but with one nurse already gone they will have to train 2 new nurses at once. I feel awful but I hate to miss this opportunity for a dream job.
    • My what if thinking has began- what if I hate the job. what if I am making a huge mistake. what if I can't do it because of my anxiety- ugh!!! I hate that I have to tailor my life around my anxiety but I do.

Any advice, thoughts, opinions, or comments???

Re: Anxiety about changing jobs to new employer

Quote Originally Posted by anx2005 View Post
    I have been unhappy with my current job for over a year and had been really just staying because I knew that in several years another nurse would be retiring and her job was one that I was interested in.. I work in healthcare and COVID 19 has exacerbated the problems at work. I twas bad enough that I couldn't wait the 2 years for her job to open. I began searching for a new job a while back. I had applied for a county job a couple months ago. After that point the co-worker decided to retire immediately because our working conditions have become so bad- she had 29 years in and had planned to make it 30 but stated that she didn't have to work and didn't need this in her life so she left. Well that meant her job was open. Of course, it is at that point that I get a call to interview for the county job. I went ahead and went to the interview and have been offered the job. It is $1.60 an hour raise but with travel to work it is basically a lateral move. It is not about the money. It is about quality of life.

Anyway, her job comes open and they give it to me. BUT- I am told they are restructuring it and making it a part of my old job. The new job will be my priority but I will be doing my old job also in between. So more work no raise and still doing the old job that I hated. There have been times when the nurse that just retired was off for vacation and I had to do exactly that and it was crazy busy and hell to be honest. Once I even cried because of the frustration and stress of doing both jobs had overwhelmed me (last december- so before covid). I have been in healthcare for 20+ years and that is the first time I have ever cried from work frustrations with the job.

Anyway, I got the new job offer and it is an amazing job and the kind of job I thought I was applying for when I took this current job. I am very excited about what I will be doing but here is where my anxiety kicks in-
    • My last several jobs I have had my own office. Easy to manage my anxiety. If I had an attack I could manage. I have no idea if I have my own office or share an office at my new job.
    • plane old new job anxiety
    • since the one nurse retired her replacement has been hired but does not start until about the same time that would be my last day so it is just an awful time to be leaving. It puts my current job in a real bind and basically short 2 nurses. We all work m-f 8-5. Its a clinic so it is not like they will have to cover extra shifts. Also they can adjust the schedule to accommodate.
    • I really want this new job so bad and I already accepted it (yesterday) but now I feel so guilty and panicky over the timing of leaving.
    • I am giving a 3 week notice but with one nurse already gone they will have to train 2 new nurses at once. I feel awful but I hate to miss this opportunity for a dream job.
    • My what if thinking has began- what if I hate the job. what if I am making a huge mistake. what if I can't do it because of my anxiety- ugh!!! I hate that I have to tailor my life around my anxiety but I do.

Any advice, thoughts, opinions, or comments???
    Don't feel guilty about leaving, you've no obligation to your employer to help them out.
    It's their problem not yours!

Good luck in your new job!

Living in severe anxiety over job decision

I hate my job. So I applied for a new one and got it. Seems like and awesome job so accepted and turned in my resignation. Now I am a hot mess. The anxiety is excruciating. I have begun the what if thinking and have begun regretting the decision to leave. Ever watch the office? I feel like Andy going for stardom.
    Thing is I hate my job and I need to leave it. High stress right now. But my fear is the what if I hate the other job more. I have been at this job 3 years and for someone with anxiety there is safety in that. I know I hate it but I know what to expect.

I know I can handle my anxiety there. I have my own office and I can shut my door and act busy if I need to. Even though I have never needed to. It is 10 minutes from my house. I can go home if I need to. After 3 years, I have time built up- I can go home sick if I need to.

I don't know about that with the other job. I mean I am almost panicky. I hit my daughters car today when I was backing out of the driveway. UGH!!!! I am about to cry because I know this new job seams great but my fear and anxiety is stopping me. Am I going to chicken out? UGH!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am and I will hate myself for it. I know I will.

I hate anxiety. I hate it. Going to go wallow in self pity now. Help!!! I want this job. How do I not spend the next 2 weeks in an anxiety hell.

Another issue- I just got married in may. I am afraid it will be too much change too close together for me and my anxiety. Any thoughts on that?

Re: Living in severe anxiety over job decision

Read my signature....

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Hi

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your thread was merged with another of your threads.

Please when posting on similar topics add it onto your previous post rather than starting a new one.

It is nothing personal it is just to make it easier for people to follow your story and to give you advice as a whole.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

I chickened out. I am staying where I am.

Quote Originally Posted by anx2005 View Post
    I chickened out. I am staying where I am.
    Is this something you'll regret?

I had to redeploy during Lockdown for eighteen weeks in another department which I didn't know anyone with a totally different job to my usual.

My anxiety was quite bad and it took around five to six weeks to settle and not be anxious about going in on Monday mornings.
    I'd say it was an amazing experience, took me out of my comfort zone and proved to myself and others that I could offer something.

Unfortunately I'm back in my usual place of work now and missing my temporary employment big time

Thread Information