I have been unhappy with my current job for over a year and had been really just staying because I knew that in several years another nurse would be retiring and her job was one that I was interested in.. I work in healthcare and COVID 19 has exacerbated the problems at work. I twas bad enough that I couldn't wait the 2 years for her job to open. I began searching for a new job a while back. I had applied for a county job a couple months ago. After that point the co-worker decided to retire immediately because our working conditions have become so bad- she had 29 years in and had planned to make it 30 but stated that she didn't have to work and didn't need this in her life so she left. Well that meant her job was open. Of course, it is at that point that I get a call to interview for the county job. I went ahead and went to the interview and have been offered the job. It is $1.60 an hour raise but with travel to work it is basically a lateral move. It is not about the money. It is about quality of life.

Anyway, her job comes open and they give it to me. BUT- I am told they are restructuring it and making it a part of my old job. The new job will be my priority but I will be doing my old job also in between. So more work no raise and still doing the old job that I hated. There have been times when the nurse that just retired was off for vacation and I had to do exactly that and it was crazy busy and hell to be honest. Once I even cried because of the frustration and stress of doing both jobs had overwhelmed me (last december- so before covid). I have been in healthcare for 20+ years and that is the first time I have ever cried from work frustrations with the job.

Anyway, I got the new job offer and it is an amazing job and the kind of job I thought I was applying for when I took this current job. I am very excited about what I will be doing but here is where my anxiety kicks in-
  • My last several jobs I have had my own office. Easy to manage my anxiety. If I had an attack I could manage. I have no idea if I have my own office or share an office at my new job.
  • plane old new job anxiety
  • since the one nurse retired her replacement has been hired but does not start until about the same time that would be my last day so it is just an awful time to be leaving. It puts my current job in a real bind and basically short 2 nurses. We all work m-f 8-5. Its a clinic so it is not like they will have to cover extra shifts. Also they can adjust the schedule to accommodate.
  • I really want this new job so bad and I already accepted it (yesterday) but now I feel so guilty and panicky over the timing of leaving.
  • I am giving a 3 week notice but with one nurse already gone they will have to train 2 new nurses at once. I feel awful but I hate to miss this opportunity for a dream job.
  • My what if thinking has began- what if I hate the job. what if I am making a huge mistake. what if I can't do it because of my anxiety- ugh!!! I hate that I have to tailor my life around my anxiety but I do.

Any advice, thoughts, opinions, or comments???