Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Groin lump

Groin lump, back ache, fatigue. So scared,

Hi all,

I am new to the forum and site. I’ve been a health anxiety sufferer on and off for some years. Previously I had self diagnosed with many conditions. With the help of the gp and cbt I had seemed to overcome the worst.

But....

It’s back with a bang. I recently discovered a Hardish small lump about 4mm on my right side groin. It appears to be a lymph gland that is swollen. I spent all last night in utter panic and barely slept. I leapt straight back onto google against my better judgement. And convinced myself I was going to die.

I booked into the gp at 10am this morning. He felt it and said he was not concerned. Said he knows what a sinister lump feels like and this isn’t one. He is aware of my health anxiety and said he didn’t want to fuel my anxiousness by ordering tests that aren’t needed. He said it is likely to be a gland that has became slightly swollen and may disappear or could even stay. He has said if I’m concerned to go back but not to poke and prod it as it will likely not allow it to reduce.

So my health anxiety head says he’s mid diagnosed etc and I need more reassurance. I am desperate to keep my head above water with my anxiety. Anyone who can offer some words of advice or support on both anxiety and the groin issue I’d appreciate it.

Thanks for reading.

I’ve added a further post on the second page with update. Would appreciate some advice 😊
    Last edited by Ccfcmike; 20-08-20 at 21:35. Reason: Change of title

Re: Groin lump

Hi Ccfmike I have no idea how l deleted the post above 🤣but welcome to nmp

l remember when l was younger my mum took me too the doctors as l had a swollen lymph node in my groin, l remember him saying had l felt unwell and something about it can happen because l had an infection he wasn't worried told me it would be fine, and it was so try and have reassurance in what he said instead of listening to your anxiety brain take it easy

best wishes xx

Ccfcmike

Welcome to NMP. Lymph node worries are very common here so welcome to group. Congrats on handling your HA so well for so long. It sounds like this may just be a small "lump" in the road.

First and foremost, it is so important to trust your GP. Your GP is a medically trained professional that stated how he knows what a sinister lump feels like. In order to fully move on, you need to trust him. It sounds like he also reassured you by telling you what it is (a swollen node that may disappear) and didn't order additional tests because he felt there was no need to.

Second, because Googling is so spiral inducing, take my word for it when I say that groin nodes can get up to 2cm and still be completely benign. Yours is 4mm. That is literally nothing to worry about.

Finally, follow your doctors advice and do not poke and prod. Poking and prodding will not only stop it from going down in size but it will also feed your anxiety. Take a few deep breaths when a sinister thought enters your mind, challenge the thought with something like, "my doctor gave me the all clear so there is nothing wrong with me", and then go do something you value and enjoy.

Best Wishes.

Not a doctor or a psychologist, just a guy who's been to a lot of them.

4mm isn't even enlarged. Most lymph nodes are that size. Everybody can feel a few lymph nodes in their groin and neck if they poke around.
    Last edited by O_O; 12-08-20 at 22:51.

The lump is slightly larger now and seems to have changed it’s feel too. I know it’s relatively small though. I’ve had a blood test today so hope that shows up the reasons why it’s enlarged.

Due to me googling I have now convinced myself I have itchiness which is a B symptom of lymphoma. It’s a nightmare!

Quote Originally Posted by Ccfcmike View Post
    The lump is slightly larger now and seems to have changed it’s feel too. I know it’s relatively small though. I’ve had a blood test today so hope that shows up the reasons why it’s enlarged.

Due to me googling I have now convinced myself I have itchiness which is a B symptom of lymphoma. It’s a nightmare!
    Simply answer stop Googling worst thing you can do its always the worst case scenario 🤒

I know what you mean, I’ve managed my health anxiety well now for years. This has seen it spiralling again.

Back to the old habits. Googling, booking loads of dr appointments. Self diagnosing. I feel so poorly and I just think something dreadful is wrong 😤

Quote Originally Posted by Ccfcmike View Post
    I know what you mean, I’ve managed my health anxiety well now for years. This has seen it spiralling again.

Back to the old habits. Googling, booking loads of dr appointments. Self diagnosing. I feel so poorly and I just think something dreadful is wrong ��
    Please don’t google it never brings relief or peace of mind, please don’t self diagnose we are not doctors, please listen to your doctor he’s trained for years to become one, he knows what he’s talking about. Hope you can have a peaceful evening. Take care.

If you feel poorly, it's most likely an infection causing the node to swell (if it's even swollen!)

I had some huge nodes come up in my neck, visibly protruding from the skin, and it wasn't cancer.

Groin lump,fatigue,back pain, nervous wreck.

Hi,

This is my second post now about this same issue. I have had a groin lump for over two weeks now, hard small like a ball bearing but it hasn’t grown at all. I have been to the dr and he has ran some blood tests which all were within normal range. He has felt the lump and said it’s small and insignificant.

Since then I’ve had a few different symptoms that now play on my mind. I have been feeling fatigued and tired. I’ve still managed to work three days this week and I am up at 4am but my body just feels weak. I do lack motivation at home to get up and do jobs.

I have had back pain, again I do suffer with Arthritis in both hips and this has always given me some back and leg pain.

I have had some abdominal pain, it is very infrequent and normally disappears after about an hour or two. Dr says it’s likely to be IBS.

I have neck pain, it’s been there for 3 days, so much tension in and around my shoulder area. I just keep piling deep heat in it.

I have tonsillitis and am on antibiotics aswell.

Basically I am a walking health disaster and all this is sending my health anxiety spiralling. I am panicked that I’ve got either lymphoma and that’s why the lump is up or I’ve got some sort of cancer in my lower body that has caused the gland to swell. I’ve seen two doctors now and neither seem to want to take any further investigations. I feel I should push for more testing. I worry that they just think all my symptoms are down to anxiety, that’s why they have prescribed me sertraline.

Any advice would be great I am a nervous wreck. Thanks in advance.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information