Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sertraline first timer

Re: Alcohol and sertraline

Quote Originally Posted by Becbec27 View Post
    Evening all, I’ve currently been on 50mg sert for 4 weeks and upgraded to 75 mg on Friday, absolute life saver these meds are I’m already on the right path no anxiety in sight (touch wood),
    I’m planning a weekend away soon and would like to know if anyone drinks alcohol while on sert? I haven’t had a drop in 7 weeks, Any advice would be appreciated xxx
    I have my Sert in the morning and 3 Bourbons in the afternoon with no problems.
    Been doing it for years.

Don't be afraid that your life will end, be afraid that it will never begin.

7 weeks in

Hi all hope everyone is ok,
    Been in 75mg off sert now for 4 weeks 50 before that for 3, been ok but these past couple of days I feel like I’m really down and can’t snap out of it.
    I’m thinking of upping to 100mg as I’ve heard it’s the therapeutic dose and most are in this, really knocked me as I was going on well just can’t shake this feeling of emptiness and morbidness, I’m carrying on with work and my anxiety is ok just the depressed feeling I can’t shake
    Any advice plz xxx

Re: Sertraline first timer

Hi

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your thread was merged with another of your threads.

Please when posting on similar topics add it onto your previous post rather than starting a new one.

It is nothing personal it is just to make it easier for people to follow your story and to give you advice as a whole.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Re: 7 weeks in

Been in 75mg off sert now for 4 weeks 50 before that for 3, been ok but these past couple of days I feel like I’m really down and can’t snap out of it.
    I’m thinking of upping to 100mg as I’ve heard it’s the therapeutic dose and most are in this, really knocked me as I was going on well just can’t shake this feeling of emptiness and morbidness, I’m carrying on with work and my anxiety is ok just the depressed feeling I can’t shake
    The therapeutic dose range for sertraline is 50-200mg/day, with most taking 100-150mg. SSRIs tend to be slightly more effective for anxiety than depression and depression can take longer to respond. That said, you've only been on it for 7 weeks and 4 at 75mg so there is likely to be significant improvement to come from the current dose. Your GP is in a better position to make the call on a dose increase.

Hi Becbec,

How are you getting on now? Xx

Hey, I’m actually not to bad I’ve now been on 100mg sert for 12 days upped from 75mg had no side effects upping the dose, I would say I’m feeling 70% better than I was 8 weeks ago, these pills have done wonders in a short space of time. Don’t get me wrong I still have a way to go and I still have a few bad days, they are becoming less and less as the weeks go on I’m keeping myself busy with work and the kids,
    Thanks for messaging, how are you getting on xx

Good morning,
    So decided to go out for a few drinks over the weekend had a really good night but drank far too much, woke up yesterday morning jd a panic attack first one in about 7 weeks, seemed to feel slightly calmer throughout the day, woke this morning feeling down and anxious, do you think it will be the alcohol and will I feel good again xx

do you think it will be the alcohol and will I feel good again xx
    It is almost certainly the alcohol. Heavy alcohol consumption depletes levels of the neurotransmitters dopamine, GABA, serotonin and endorphins by 30-50% within the amygdalas, the twin brain areas thought to be the control centres for fear and anxiety. To make matters worse the brain tries to compensate by releasing Corticotrophin - releasing factor CRF which prompts the pituitary gland to release ACTH, a hormone which stimulates the adrenal glands to hyper-secrete the stress hormone cortisol. Chronic alcohol abusers develop not only enlarged livers, but also swollen adrenal and pituitary glands.

Getting plastered once in a blue moon probably won't have any long term effects, but make it a habit and that cortisol will start killing brain cells in the hippocampal regions of the brain which is the physical cause of anxiety and depression. ADs work by stimulating the growth of new brain cells. The new cells and the connections they forge produce the therapeutic response, not the meds directly. Even moderate drinking can result in significant hippocampal atrophy (Topiwala A, 2017; - see also: Anderson ML, 2012; Morris SA, 2010; Crews FT, 2003).

Also, ADs and alcohol can be an unpredictable combination. Some days you might be able to drink a herd of alcoholic elephants under the table without raising a sweat, on others a pint of shandy may turn legs to rubber. Definitely do not drink and drive while on ADs!

Btw are you taking 75mg tablets or cutting a 50mg tab in half and making it up to 75mg that way?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information