Thread: I've had GAD all day every day for months now?

I've had GAD all day every day for months now?

I started having anxiety issues a year ago now, all the usual crap the panic attacks, fast heart etc, it was a nightmare of a time. I got through this by acceptance, it wasn't easy but by January all the physical crap had stopped and I would say I was 80% better.

The problem is I am left with this uneasy feeling ever since, its there 24/7. I might forget it temporary while at work or whatever but its still there. I'm not restricted in anyway and can do anything and go anywhere so no chance for exposure work. Acceptance doesn't seem to do anything to this feeling, and I worry about it so I anxious about feeling anxious really.

I've tried things like CBT but all that does is focus on say an event or situation and focus on self talk, I don't have any individual situation that I am anxious in, I am just uneasy and on edge all the time, like an impending doom feeling, it can also feel sad and dark at times

I wonder is it even anxiety at all and not some other psychological illness because it doesn't fit with the text book example of anxiety and all the usual stuff doesn't work like acceptance, body language etc.

Any been in this situation. I one heard that once you get over panic etc you are left with general anxiety and it can take a long time to go, you get over the initial panic etc quickly but the rest can take months if not years.

Re: I've had GAD all day every day for months now?

Quote Originally Posted by nianxiousguy View Post
    Any been in this situation. I one heard that once you get over panic etc you are left with general anxiety and it can take a long time to go, you get over the initial panic etc quickly but the rest can take months if not years.
    Pretty much this, although a lot of it can be habitual.

My experience is that you have to take a holistic view of your overall health. Developing an anxiety disorder is analogous to falling off a cliff. It's a long way down and it's hard to climb back up.

I had to look at my stress levels, my diet, my exercise, my sleep. All these things can hinder a full recovery.

Now would be a good time to look into deeper recovery techniques like yoga, meditation, mindfulness etc. Your CNS has to effectively learn to be calm again. It's also worth considering that this period of global uncertainty will be playing on your mind even if you think it's not. We are being exposed to 'hidden danger' every day whether it be literal (being around other people) or more abstract (news/horror stories).

You say it's not textbook anxiety, but it actually is. Just give yourself time, but now the worst of it is over focus on active, positive steps.

Re: I've had GAD all day every day for months now?

Quote Originally Posted by nianxiousguy View Post
    I don't have any individual situation that I am anxious in, I am just uneasy and on edge all the time, like an impending doom feeling, it can also feel sad and dark at times .
    This is how my GAD is. I've had anxiety issues since I was in preschool. For me, the only way I've been able to get rid of it is through medication. I use therapy to deal with specific events and triggers and my claustrophobia, like you've mentioned, but meds are the only thing that take the edge off for me.

Edit: And when I say meds, I mean ADs. I've been on escitalopram continuously for 6 years now. Before that I would go on meds, then go off, and the edge always came back.

Thread Information