Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415

Thread: Worried about melanoma at the moment

Re: Worried about melanoma at the moment

Thanks Scass, yes, I feel ok. I feel like I've done what I can.

I'm actually quite pleased because I think there was a time when I'd just basically be sitting and waiting to get melanoma or some other skin cancer now - but instead I feel like I can carry on living my life and just do my skin check every three months. If something does appear, I should catch it early enough that it can just be chopped off.

But I'm doing ok at not worrying too much about that right now. I've got my hikes and social events scheduled for the weekend, and my appetite is fine and I'm about to have dinner, and I'm applying for new jobs too.

I definitely feel better than I did during the 'lymphoma' episode. And I feel infinitely better than I did during the miscarriage aftermath. So yes I'm ok for the moment, thanks, and I'm hoping I just stay feeling ok for a while now.

Quote Originally Posted by O_O View Post
    Yes, he did. Compared to other people, that is - I don't know what my 'absolute' risk is. He told me that the number of moles I have, coupled with my very fair, freckled complexion, and my previous sunburns, put me in the high risk category compared to the average white person. But I already knew this so it's fine - I was mainly worried that I might actually already have melanoma or that I had dysplastic moles that might need removing. So basically I just know that the average white person lifetime risk is 2.6% and mine is higher than that.

And he also said it's not as if I'm one of those people with hundreds of moles who needs aggressive monitoring and frequent mole excisions. He basically told me not to worry and that I need to be alert to changes on my skin, and do my skin checks, but that it shouldn't stop me from going on holiday and enjoying myself as long as I protect myself from the sun.

He did say please never emigrate to Australia, though. Fortunately I don't plan to.
    So basically...be sensible and use sunscreen appropriately. My daughter is a redhead with fair skin-I wonder what risk category she would be in according to your dermatologist? Everyone should be alert to mole changes and should check their skin within reason...but not obsessively.

I think you should be very satisfied with this thorough assessment, Jenny. It's good news.

Unless your daughter has 50+ moles her risk probably isn't too high - but as you say, either way, we should all be careful in the sun. Lots of moles is the worst risk factor, followed by being a redhead, but unless you're somebody with dysplastic mole syndrome you're not condemned to melanoma.

I wish I'd been more careful in the past in the sun but never mind. I'll be careful going forward and I'll make sure I monitor my skin.

I feel happy that for now at any rate everything is fine.
    Last edited by O_O; 01-09-20 at 20:39.

Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415

Thread Information