Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Worried about melanoma at the moment

Worried about melanoma at the moment

I've been worried about melanoma recently, probably because it's been so sunny.

I'm super pale and freckled, but with dark hair and greenish eyes.

I reckon I've had up to 10 bad sunburns, with pain and peeling, in my life. The first one was when I was about 10yo. So obviously that's bad straight away.

These days I still sunbathe. Apparently you're allowed 20 minutes on each side without sunscreen, so that's what I do on sunny days. I never burn when I do that, at least not noticeably, but I do develop a light tan.

I have so many moles. Honestly it's probably about 100. One of them in particular is weird af, pretty big and irregular with some darker bits, but I've had it for ages and the doctor checked it ages ago and said it was just a novus or something. My other moles look regular (that I can see).

Basically, I guess I'm pretty high risk for melanoma, and my past sunburns won't have helped. I don't know if my 20 mins sunbathing these days is a problem too. I read that the average white person has a 2.6% lifetime risk of melanoma, so I wouldn't be surprised if mine was 10% or more.

Not sure what to do now. You can't really get regular full body mole mapping in the UK, but maybe I should pay to do it privately?

Re: Worried about melanoma at the moment

Don't go down this path. It will consume you if you allow it to.

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Fishmanpa View Post
    Don't go down this path. It will consume you if you allow it to.

Positive thoughts
    I know it's one a lot of people are worried about. I genuinely think I'm probably at risk though. In a group of 20 people, I'm always the whitest. I have SO MANY moles. I've had the bad sunburns.

I'm not sure what I should be doing to make sure that if I get melanoma it's caught early.

Quote Originally Posted by O_O View Post
    In a group of 20 people, I'm always the whitest.
    Just don't start getting the Tweety spray on orange tan Ok?

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

I would stop the sunbathing to be honest. Do you really need to put yourself at risk and obviously it has worried you so just don't do it.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Quote Originally Posted by nomorepanic View Post
    I would stop the sunbathing to be honest. Do you really need to put yourself at risk and obviously it has worried you so just don't do it.
    The thing is my vitamin D is really low normally, and that's bad for fertility. So it's kind of a catch 22. They say 20 mins sunbathing is ok 🤷🏻*♀️ but idk. I think the worst damage has probably already been done.

Also apparently having 100 moles or more makes you 8 times more likely to get it or something.

So take Vitamin D supplements like I do.

I would seriously stop it now before things get worse.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Quote Originally Posted by O_O View Post
    The thing is my vitamin D is really low normally, and that's bad for fertility. So it's kind of a catch 22. They say 20 mins sunbathing is ok 路*♀️ but idk. I think the worst damage has probably already been done.

Also apparently having 100 moles or more makes you 8 times more likely to get it or something.
    Please stop "researching"? You know how your HA spirals. You'll have terminal melanoma "definitely" before you know it.

I tried to count, and I counted almost exactly 100 moles. Some are much smaller, but I'm sure they're moles and not freckles. I have THOUSANDS of freckles, and tbh some of them might be moles too, but I didn't count the ones I wasn't sure of.

There's only one properly weird looking mole, the one I mentioned before. I might try to get it removed. The others are smaller than a pencil eraser, though some are still quite big.

Does anybody know WHY people with moles are 'drastically' more likely to get skin cancer? Is it that the moles are a sign that the skin doesn't react very well to sunlight?

So you are going to continue "researching"?

Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread Information