Thread: Leptospirosis?!

Leptospirosis?!

Hello all. I’m having a bit of a freak out as I was having a meal in my parents garden when we saw a rat run through the plants in the border.
    They have never had rats before and it seemed to be going to the bird feeder for seeds. It was about a metre away from us and I didn’t touch it.
    Now what I’m worried about is that the rat may have climbed onto the picnic table and contaminated it with bacteria and that I am going to get sick with leptospirosis. My dad said he wiped the table top down earlier today but I’m worried that maybe he didn’t do it properly or missed a spot as my knife and fork were on the table!!
    AIBU or is there actually any danger?!

Re: Leptospirosis?!

Another thing I never heard of in all the time I've been here. Dr. Google is not your friend!

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

I only know of it’s existence thanks to a food hygiene course I did a while back. Maybe a bit of knowledge is dangerous!
    I feel a bit sick now after seeing the little critter

I had rats in the garden but never heard of this disease.

You will be fine.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Quote Originally Posted by nomorepanic View Post
    I had rats in the garden but never heard of this disease.

You will be fine.
    Perhaps better known as Weil's disease.

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/leptospirosis/

Comparing what the NHS says with the OP's post, I'd say chances of catching it are zero.

I just heard Ben by Micheal Jackson isn’t that song about a rat?

Quote Originally Posted by Duchesskitty View Post
    They have never had rats before

Lol

They have.

Wherever you are in the UK, there are probably 20 rats within 50ft of you. There are more rats than people in the UK.

Want to get rid of rats? Get rid of the bird feeder. The dropped seeds, nuts and the like are easy feeding for them.

Hi,
    This has been a worry of mine in the past. The thing is from what I’ve read is that Weil’s disease which is what you’re worried about is water based and spread in eat urine. Even if the rat had urinated on the table once the urine has been dried for an hour, the bacteria is dead. I’m sure you don’t have to worry.

Thread Information