Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Scourge Of Highly Opinionated Moaners

The Scourge Of Highly Opinionated Moaners

This morning I have already posted in one of the Corona threads about this guy I have known for years who I spoke to on the phone earlier, and he was having a right rant at me about having to wear face masks inside indoor public places, as he is convinced it's totally pointless and a gross violation of civil liberties!!

We ended up having a bit of a verbal argument about it, like we have over various other issues over the years and I felt emotionally exhausted by the time we both hung up, as if it's just impossible for me to ever win. He also seems to imply that I am thick and naïve, and that I don't live in the real world.

Does anyone else on here have encounters with people who are incessantly opinionated and constantly negative about pretty much everything and anything?

Re: The Scourge Of Highly Opinionated Moaners

Perils of being a regular on this place, mate

Quote Originally Posted by BlueIris View Post
    Perils of being a regular on this place, mate
    Maybe, but that annoying person I mentioned in my opening post definitely isn't on here, thank God!!

Though in fairness, I guess we can all be moaners at times, even without always being fully aware of it, part and parcel of being human I suppose.

It's the ones that are forever at it that really get on my wick!!

There's a lot of them about.

That same person I spoke to on the phone earlier this morning has also been known to boast about being on the receiving end of vicious beatings by his parents and school teachers as a child and it 'never doing him and his generation any harm'!

He was also insistent that the govt brought back school caning and routinely armed our police officers soon after the August 2011 riots, proclaiming that 'the bleeders needed to be taught a lesson', and also 'needed to learn the hard way'.

He said the very same things in response to the recent knife crime epidemic, and I told him that (IMO) violence begets violence, and we all should be attempting to address the underlying issues that lead to problems within contemporary society, rather than knee-jerk responses like corporal punishment, and ended up having yet another epic argy-bargy with him!!
    Last edited by Lencoboy; 10-08-20 at 11:39.

Lencoboy, you are upset and you need to find your calm and let this episode go.
    The world is going through a very negative time and any talk about masks, vaccines, the virus and lock down will be open for debate/opinions that will only lead to upset and anger.
    We have to respect people's views even if we do not agree otherwise we lose something very important, 'Freedom of Speech'!

Quote Originally Posted by Carnation View Post
    Lencoboy, you are upset and you need to find your calm and let this episode go.
    The world is going through a very negative time and any talk about masks, vaccines, the virus and lock down will be open for debate/opinions that will only lead to upset and anger.
    We have to respect people's views even if we do not agree otherwise we lose something very important, 'Freedom of Speech'!
    I totally understand and acknowledge what you're saying, but I have been getting it in the neck from that opinionated person I know for donkeys years over several other issues totally unrelated to CV, and for the most part, I do respect other people's freedom of expression, but at the same time FOE ultimately carries responsibilities and of course has its limits, as you know.

Nevertheless, I will take your advice and try to chill out for a bit.

You know what they say, 'if a person causes you anxiety, then sever the relationship.' I had to do exactly that with a few of my long-standing relationships.
    You may have had that result already from this particular person, so it's just a matter of time to shed the remnants of that heightened uncomfortable conversation.

I'm with Carnation on this. For a happier life, avoid contact with anybody who makes you want to punch a wall.

Is this person actually a friend? He doesn't sound like he holds you in very high regard. The phone call has obviously really upset you so maybe it's best to be unavailable when he next calls?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information