Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: The Scourge Of Highly Opinionated Moaners

Re: The Scourge Of Highly Opinionated Moaners

Quote Originally Posted by AntsyVee View Post
    Yes, Lenco. IRL, I have two uncles who have pretty much been brainwashed by Fox News, Rush Limbaugh and the Trump campaign. They are very angry people all the time now, when they used to be very easy going and open-minded.
    Same goes for a couple of other people I know who performed in a covers band my brother used to play drums with, in addition to the aforementioned serial 'moaner', but this was more over the Global Financial Crisis, which appeared to affect them psychologically, even though they were never in any real financial dire straits as a result of it.

They were previously rather laid back, easy going and had a good sense of humour, but by mid-2008 (and beyond) when the crisis was really starting to accelerate, they were becoming changed persons who were very opinionated, and having increasingly right-wing views, especially believing that the crash was all New Labour's fault and looking at other countries like Spain with rose-tinted specs, believing that not only was their quality of life far superior to ours, but their politics were fairer, less violent crime and yob culture, fuel was far cheaper and job opportunities were still plentiful, and the UK had finally descended into the laughing stock of the world.

But the reality was that most of mainland Europe ended up being no better off than us in the grand scheme of things, which is pretty much the same now with the current Corona thing, but many people nevertheless still have the compulsion to travel there in pursuit of their fabled 'superior quality of life'!!

And oddly, much of the division and angst in our society fuelled by the GFC back in 2008-09 now seems largely forgotten about, now it's all about CV and Brexit!!

The 'serial pessimist' rang me today for the first time in several weeks, bragging that he has just come back from holiday in Spain, and blatantly gloating about everything over there still far superior to nearly everything here, even saying that the Corona situation there is far better than ours, and is still adamant that the UK is the worst hit in Europe, with both daily cases and deaths.

I said to him about the figures in both Spain and France actually being way above ours (and higher than their initial spikes earlier in the year) but he thinks it's all being made up by our govt in order to play down our 'shameful' stats, and that it's our figures that are actually far worse now than back in March and April!!

How that bloke is in such denial about the figures in Spain and France, believing they are being hyped up and manipulated by our govt to deflect from our own situation, despite their stats actually being officially published by reputable global statisticians is totally beyond me.

Luckily, I managed to shake him off as I needed to use the toilet after about 10 minutes of his incessant ranting.

I never forget the Foot and Mouth crisis back in 2001 when he was adamant it was all Blair's deliberate conspiracy to put farmers out of business. A serial 'blame-gamer' as well!!
    Last edited by Lencoboy; 10-09-20 at 17:11.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueIris View Post
    I'm with Carnation on this. For a happier life, avoid contact with anybody who makes you want to punch a wall.
    Which is practically everybody. I actually did punch a wall once and broke my hand. Healed a bit funny because anxiety made me refuse an operation and have it cast instead, although you can't notice unless I point it out. Boxers fracture I think they call it.

Client let me down on a payment I was waiting for. Was having a rough day not long being told I was in remission from Cancer. Dealing with the aftershock etc. An argument with a friend made me punch a wall. I heard it crack. At first my whole hand was numb. Like it was in shock. But as soon as I looked down and seen what I'd done it hurt. I called a taxi and went to hospital. I almost refused to let them stick me with local anesthetic, then when they did I had a panic attack.

"I recommend we operate", said the nurse.
    "I recommend you are most definitely not. I'm not having an operation and there's no point in trying to talk me down. Impossible unless it's life and death" I replied.
    She noted I was being serious. "But it may heal deformed", she said.
    "If it does, can I have the operation after?".

She said yes. So I opted for that option. Looks pretty normal to me and works fine. The pain was bad, but twisting my ankle slipping off a curb hurt so much more.
    Last edited by WiredIncorrectly; 11-09-20 at 23:38.

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” - Richard Feynman

☪️️

Quote Originally Posted by Lencoboy View Post
    The 'serial pessimist' rang me today for the first time in several weeks, bragging that he has just come back from holiday in Spain, and blatantly gloating about everything over there still far superior to nearly everything here, even saying that the Corona situation there is far better than ours, and is still adamant that the UK is the worst hit in Europe, with both daily cases and deaths.

I said to him about the figures in both Spain and France actually being way above ours (and higher than their initial spikes earlier in the year) but he thinks it's all being made up by our govt in order to play down our 'shameful' stats, and that it's our figures that are actually far worse now than back in March and April!!

How that bloke is in such denial about the figures in Spain and France, believing they are being hyped up and manipulated by our govt to deflect from our own situation, despite their stats actually being officially published by reputable global statisticians is totally beyond me.

Luckily, I managed to shake him off as I needed to use the toilet after about 10 minutes of his incessant ranting.

I never forget the Foot and Mouth crisis back in 2001 when he was adamant it was all Blair's deliberate conspiracy to put farmers out of business. A serial 'blame-gamer' as well!!
    I don't let those people bother me Lencoboy. They're not worth an ounce of the thought.

Give this a read. The subtle art of not giving a (swear word): https://markmanson.net/not-giving-a-****

It is a great read. Oh damn, this forum blocks it out. Replace the stars with the f word.

Edit: The author of that article is smart. He's already thought of the swear word being blocked and using the ****'s will still show you the article.

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” - Richard Feynman

☪️️

Quote Originally Posted by WiredIncorrectly View Post
    I don't let those people bother me Lencoboy. They're not worth an ounce of the thought.

Give this a read. The subtle art of not giving a (swear word): https://markmanson.net/not-giving-a-****

It is a great read. Oh damn, this forum blocks it out. Replace the stars with the f word.

Edit: The author of that article is smart. He's already thought of the swear word being blocked and using the ****'s will still show you the article.
    I agree with you WIC, that geezer isn't worth an ounce of the thought.

Over the past 20 years he's had this blatant pro-Spain, anti-UK agenda, from the fuel protests of then through the current CV pandemic. He has always been very anti-govt as he has incessantly moaned about all the PMs we've had since Blair, believing each have been far worse than the previous, though he admitted to being very anti-Thatcher back in the day too!

Just a smart alec know-it-all with an extreme sense of confirmation bias!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread Information